I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Micro Guide Spaceing
Posted by: Richard Fleming (68.47.190.---)
Date: October 23, 2012 08:23PM

guys i have never built a rod using Micro Guides....i have my first order today for one........i have build 100's of other rods but none using Micro Guides........would someone take a few minutes and help me with the size of the guides and spacing on a 6' 6" Rod....... he wants Fuji Micro Guides
thanks in advance for your advice.....
Richard Fleming

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Micro Guide Spaceing
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 09:00PM

Hi Richard,
The first thing you need to ask your customer is what size line and leader will he be using. Will his knots pass through the guides?? A size 4 Fugi micro, titanium frame with SiC ring has an opening around 3.0mm. If his knots are bigger than that tell him to forget the micro's. If his knots are smaller then you can proceed. If your only used to size 6's then 4's will be a good place to start. Takes a bit of getting used to handling the little suckers but you will improve quickly. For holding them on the blank I use round sewing elastic and find that it's good, easy to move guides around and reasonably strong, a lot better than masking tape. For spinning rods numbers will be about the same, with guides on top you will need at least one more. Spacing will be determined by static testing but I usually start with the first three or four at four inches apart and go from there. If it's a spinning rod then the ngc or 27x method will be good and reduction guide sizes will be determined by the reel. Could be 20,10,6 then 4's out to the tip. If your unfamilar with the method there is a couple of good articles in the library that will set you straight. No straight forward answer to your question.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 10:53PM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 09:36PM

Starting from the tip place the 1st guide at 4in. start adding a 1/4in for the next 4-5 guides then move up to a half in. This should get you through the bend in the tip section. The rest will be up to static testing to keep the line off the blank. Normally I will start with a 8df stripper placed far enough out so the line doesn't touch the blank under load. Next will be a 5SF then 4's to the tip.

Posted by: jack taller (139.192.80.---)
Date: October 24, 2012 03:46AM

If you have fuji japan catalog 2012
in page 22 you can see they have actual size ID and OD each ring size
and there is sizing for each frame too. to bad they dont have the anglish version for this catalog
like Col Chaseling said it can help you to choose the right micro size to start
you can download the PDF version of that catalog just google it

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2012 07:35AM

Richard
What action, power, and blank are you using?
Will you be spiral wrapping them?
What will be will be his predominant use for the rod?
What type and size line will he be using?
Does he intend to use leaders?

Date: October 25, 2012 02:17AM

its a fast action action .... Rain Shadow..its 6'6"...he wants straight wrapping...he will be fishing for LM and SM Bass using mostly Texas Rig heres the #s for the rod...
IMB783...its a MH Fast action blank...he ask for Split grip...10.75" to back of the reel seat and no foregrip.....hope this info help.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 10:57AM by Richard Fleming.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.129.---)
Date: October 25, 2012 06:05PM

Hi Richard,
For a fast action blank you probably need equal spacing til you get past the bend. Micros are low so it's easy for the line to come in contact with the blank unless you've got a lot of guides. A bit of that is ok but try not to let the line get below the blank. You can probably go 8,6 then 4's out to the tip. Static testing is the best way to position the guides so the blank is evenly loaded. An acid wrapped rod is the best way and you get away with less guides but you have to satisfy the customer. You need to find out his line, leader size and knot size before you can decide on sizes but if you haven't used them before then 4's are your best bet.
Steve Gardner is a guru with micros so take note of anything he has to say.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: October 26, 2012 09:02AM

Richard;
With that blank I would start with this recipe.
All measurements in Millimeters and measured from the tip down using 8 guides

Note:
I build everything spiral wrap so you may find it necessary to tighten them up a tad, but this will be pretty close.
You might buy an extra guide just in case, (but I really don't think it will be needed)
tip-
8cm
17cm
26.5cm
37.5cm
51.5cm
65.75cm
82.5cm
101.25cm
125.5cm

Then do as Mr Chaseling says " Static testing is the best way to position the guides so the blank is evenly loaded"

As far as guide sizes unless he intends to use it for flipping
I would use 6-5-4's
but you will get even better results with 5-4- 3's
If he intends to use floro lines up to12 lbs I would go with a 4mm tip.
If up to 17lbs a 5mm tip.
And anything above that I would stick with a 6mm tip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 08:41PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 03:05PM

Steve it seems measurement are in centimeter (10 millimeter) no ?

Date: October 28, 2012 11:43AM

Cole....he will be using 12 lb mono....no leader......mainly 99% of the time only for Texas Rigged Worms.......

Date: October 28, 2012 08:42PM

Eric;
Thank You
Brain cramp!
post corrected

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster