I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Testing the Microwaves - reversing the stripper
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 12:28PM

Did some more test casting at The NERBs Massachusetts gathering this past weekend with the Amtak Microwaves taped on a 7' FW blank. SOmeone said that it's stupid to have teh double guide, why not make a high frame guide with a small ring. This is something I had thought of myself, and I know a lot of others wondered the same thing. I know that I was doubting the marketting about the larger ring taming the line before it passed through the smaller guide.

So I unstrung the line, and spun the MW guide around so the small guide was facing the reel - effectively making a high frame small ring guide. All it took was one cast and you could see & hear teh difference - the MW stripper revered was noticeably louder, and the line was not smooth as it passed through the stripper to the next guide as it was when the guide was used teh way it was designed.

This coming weekend I will be in Iowa & Chicago presenting topics at the Tri-State gathering in Iowa & at The NERBs Chicago gathering. I shipped a few MW set ups and hopefully the 50+ builders who attend these 2 event swill have an opportunity to cast them and come to their own conclusions on this new concept & guide set up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Testing the Microwaves - reversing the stripper
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 03:45PM

Looking forward to Saturday in Iowa.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: October 22, 2012 05:50PM

I think you need the funnel effect.

Date: October 22, 2012 06:04PM

Ken, that is what they claim. I rather see for myself than to believe what others tell me, which is why I flipped the guide around. I wish we had teh slow speed camera to see wha tthe line was actually doing as it passed throuhg the guide, we could hear more noise but not see anything othe rthan the line still "wiggling" as it went to the next guide.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2012 06:51PM

Hi Billy,
Good test. Now people know that a single high framed small guide doesn't work as well as the micro wave. Some titanium frames would be good but from what I hear that's not going to happen. Would be good for corrosion resistance in saltwatrer rather than a weight saving.
Take it easy in Iowa and Chicago, enjoy yourself and I hope the meets turn out well.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.119.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 05:03AM

I'll bring some along to the SEARBs meeting Col courtessy of Darrin Hiem.

Cheers
Mark

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 05:53AM

Hi Mark,
That would be good as I'd like to have a look and a measure. Do you need the 2.0mm tips as I can send them anytime. If your using flexcoat hotmelt then you can load the tubes up and they will be fine on a 1.8 tip. Didn't get my 1.8's today unfortunately.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 06:41AM

Hi Billy have you done any testing comparing braid to mono in light line classes.I havent used mono in years as i
usually fish 3lb braid.But have been thinking of going to some 3lb flourocarbon would be interested to know if there
is any difference in casting distance.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 23, 2012 12:02PM

Billy,
i have played with the bigger #30 microwave over the last year or so.
My biggest benefit is one seldom mentioned: the ability to still cast very well when you change spool/reel from braid to mono.
Are you getting that too or not checking for it?

My tests show I can build a rod that with a given reel/line will cast as far as the same blank with the same reel using the microwave.
But there is always a difference when they change from braid to mono especially on pier rods with 17 plus pound lines on my builds.
Winter and stiffer lines just make it worse.
The microwave minimizes that difference more than my regular builds do.
It may well be how i build my regular layouts.

Date: October 23, 2012 12:30PM

The first round of gatherings at my shop we had 2 Diawa Tierra 2000's - one with 15# Braid & the other with 8# Mono. We cast both and have photos of both with the line going through the stripper guide. THere really wasn't any difference, adn we weren't concerned with the distance - eyeballing they all went the "same distance", and that includes the Fuji KR set up we also casted with the same reels at the same time.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 23, 2012 01:25PM

Billy, mine shows up with the bigger MW guides on 4000 thru 6000 Penns with 17# berkley vs 20# power pro.
thanks

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2012 09:02AM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some titanium frames would be good but
> from what I hear that's not going to happen. Would
> be good for corrosion resistance in saltwatrer
> rather than a weight saving.
>

I just recieved my Microwave guide set and they don't look like they would be very salt tollerant. I was going to use them on a saltwater flats rod, but now I'm concerned. How well should they hold up in salt?

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2012 09:19AM

Just recieved a very quick response back from Mudhole. Per response, they are SS316 frames and should be suitable for salt. Thanks for the quick response Gary.

Posted by: Ben Stein (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2012 02:26PM

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your question and I understand your concern about them holding up in saltwater. Through our testing and continued use the microwaves have proven to hold up extremely well in saltwater conditions. I have them on a few bushido rods since July and fish weekly in saltwater including bonefishing in the keys and redfishing the flats of Mosquito lagoon/Indian River and anywhere else I find myself over the weekend. With routine maintenance (washing with freshwater), I have seen no rust or corrosion on the frames. I am very tough on my equipment and am guilty of missing a few freshwater washes after fishing and still no rust. Remember that they are SS and all SS is susceptible to rust over time if not properly maintained. By being more responsible than me over the long haul and washing your equipment down with freshwater, you should not have any issues with corrosion.

Lastly, the microwaves will work perfectly for flats fishing. I have been throwing everything from small live shrimp and crabs for bonefish to super spooks for reds and trout. Distance and accuracy are key for these applications and I feel completely confident in saying that you will not find a better guide system available for these environments.

Ben Stein
American Tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster