I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX SJ782-2 - Guide help!
Posted by: Oli Wright (101.161.43.---)
Date: October 22, 2012 05:09AM

Hi guys,
the blank for my first rod has arrived (MHX SJ782-2) and I am now sorting out all the dimensions for the reel seat, grips, winding checks etc so I can make my next order. One thing that I am unsure of is how many guides to use and what sizes? I am going to be using SiC striper and tip top with Recoil infills. For those that don't know the rod is 6'6 - 3-6kg and has a fast/v fast action. Any help would be appreciated and the sooner the better (it's 8:00pm in Aus)!
Cheers,
Oli

Byron Coast
NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX SJ782-2 - Guide help!
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2012 05:50AM

Hi Oli,
I'm assuming this is a spinning rod and not an overhead. You won't know for sure how many guides you need until you do a static test. Seven might be enough or you might need eight plus the tip. Use the smallest guides that will pass your knots. The stripper should be about 50% of your reel spool diameter. If you haven't got any guides it will be difficult to check if your knots will go through. Size 6 guides and tips have an opening around 4mm but this varies within the same manufacurer and a greater variation between manufacturers. I have no experience with Recoils but I think they are different again. If you are going to build a few rods it would be good to get a number of sizes but you will probably only need three sizes, maybe four. This gets a bit more complicated if you are going to use an ngc or 27x method to set your guides up. You won't know what height guide you need until you do your measurements an work out where the choker guide will be. If you tape the reelseat on where it will go and attach the reel you could work out the heights required and go from there. I doubt you have any experience with this method so look in the library at the top and read the two articles in there. May seem a bit complicated but it isn't that difficult when you get used to the setup. It will give you a better and further casting rod as well as being a bit lighter when you use a number of the smallest(and lightest) guides that will do the job. Lighter guides will give you a more responsive rod.
Rodbuilding may seem complicated when you first strart but it's not rocket science and most things are just common sense and doing things the simplest way. If you haven't got any books or info then I suggest you get Tom Kirkmans book " A Rodbuilding Guide". It has great basics, will give you good info on how to setup your guide train etc and it's not expensive.
Good luck, the guys on this forum are great and will help you out when you run into problems.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 22, 2012 08:19AM

Oli, I might also add to Col's comment, the sponsors to the left are really good people to do business with. I use several of them as my regular suppliers and they are just great people and will be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Jerry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 03:18PM

Oli,
For all round fishing I use my standard guide setup on this rod. 16, 10, 8 and 6 runners to the tip with a size 6 tip Just place a guide where the rod bends and you need to keep the line running along the blank. Not complicated. . Simple easy and works with virtually all lines and knots.

Size 4s are fine, but the very little weight that you save, is more than offset by the ease of use of the slightly larger size 6 guides.

This rod has a fast action, so you will be needing at least three runners relatively close to the tip. Then, of course space out after the first 18 inches of the blank.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 04:34PM

I built some in Minima 4 match frame 20/10/6 then F style 4 thru tip.
Or Fuji Y frame 20/12/7 then L frame 4 or 4.5 thru tip.
Very nice blank.

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2012 05:20PM

Hi Oli,

Generally I start by looking at a guide spacing chart online, as a starting point. Here is one from Schneiders Rod Shop - one of the forum sponsors.
[www.schneidersrods.com]

You will see that for spinning rods they give a spacing suggestion for both light and medium 6'6" rods. One is for 6 guides plus the tip top, the other is for 7 guides plus the tip top.

The best thing to do is choose a spacing layout and buy the guides. In your case, you have a choice of either 6 or 7 guides plus the tip top.
Tape the guides into position and do a "static test" by running some line through the guides and loading the rod. You are hoping to have the line follow a smooth path and to roughly follow the curve of the blank.
If you think any of the guide placements are out of place, or don't really suit your blank, you can try another spacing chart, or invent your own.

I built a couple of rods earlier in the year on Batson 6'6" 3-6kg blanks. I decided to use 6 guides plus the tip top.
I used 25, 16, 10, 7, 7, 7 plus a size 7 tip. You could use 6, 6, 6 out the tip as well, plus a size 6 tip top but I personally wouldn't go any small than that.
I'm talking about standard spinning guides - I'm sorry I don't know how the recoils compare to this.

I'm only a beginner compared to many people here, but thats the sort of approach that I take.

Dale

Hobart, TAS
Australia

Date: October 22, 2012 07:17PM

Hi Dale,
Got an email from a fellow Tasmaniac who wants to join our SEARBS group even though he is a long way from us. His name is Darrel Gardner from St Helens and he has been building for 50 years. You pair might be able to hook up occasionally and he could probably help you with some things. Seems like another very nice rodbuilding gent. Unhide your email address by going to the control centre at the top of the main page and I will send you his Ph no and email address.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bill Houk (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 12:04AM

There is a rod spacing chart from Mud Hole: [www.mudhole.com].
Distance from Tip Top Guide Sizes
6'6"L-M 4-9-15-22.5-31.5-42.5 6S 30-20-16-10-8-7

Bill

Bill Houk
Speedway, Indiana

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 02:36AM

Hi Col, I think you will be able to see my email address now.

Feel free to send me those details. You may like to mention to the fellow in St Helens who I am, and that I may send him an email some time, at least just to say Hi.
If he's been building for 50 years he must be a bit older than me. I'm only 33!

Date: October 23, 2012 03:34AM

Hi Dale,
Thanks, your email address is unhidden. I will send you the details and will give him your email address. You never know when he will make a trip to Hobart. Take it easy on the old farts, we're delicate!! Anyone building for 50 years should be heritage listed!!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2012 04:20PM

Hi Oli

If you click on anglers resource in the left column.Then go to guide placement software.At the bottom click on launch guide placement software.

You can then enter your reel specs and type of guides used.It will give you some measurements and you can then start to play around with some
test casting and see what you reckon.

You can go with the KR concept or the 27x method.

I have built a few rods with the recoils and like them but there sizing is crazy.If you want i can send you what measurements i have regarding inside
and outside dia's.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster