I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thunderbird or angel pattern
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 05:26PM

I would like to ask, does anyone or could anyone have the pattern for the Thunderbird or the Angel wrap pattern, I am trying to get this pattern without haveing to spenfd the 30 some dollars on the deco book, I am willing to buy it from someone if neccessary. I wanted this pattern for someones Christmas gift, if I can get it by then, Thank you, just thought I would ask. have a good one and tight wraps all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thunderbird or angel pattern
Posted by: Chad Huderle (76.164.57.---)
Date: October 18, 2012 05:38PM

Lorenzo,

I've got the deco book, at least I believe it's the one you're referring to. For $30 or $40 you'll get the patterns you want plus a whole lot more for future use.

If I went to all the work and assembled that book I'd be displeased if someone were to scan patterns and sell them.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2012 05:56PM

Which would also be illegal.

At one point in time, Flex Coat offered a tri-pattern book that included the pattern you want for just a few dollars. check with the some of the vendors to see if they still carry it.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 07:33PM

Since I came up with and developed that wrap, I called it the Eagle wrap, and some late comers have put it in books or are trying to sell it, I get a little @#$%& off!! You can find it in Dale Clemens book Custom Rod Thread Art.. I also made the fish wrap, St John's cross, Spider wrap and many others over 30 years ago. Some people have short memories, and think that they are the ones who did the hard work and spent hundreds of hours working out these patterns. No one had heard of the plus one, plus two, etc. & minus one, minus two, etc. method of wrapping until I presented it at one of the Rodcrafters seminars I hosted with Dale Clemens. Ralph O'Quinn of Trondak was there and can verify this. People selling the patterns is fine, but don't try to take credit for inventing them!!! Scan the patterns all you want, that guy didn't invent them. Randy Ruwe, RJ Ruwe Custom Fishing Rods, Edmonds, WA

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 07:47PM

Awesome!! What page in CRTA is the Angel wrap? THere are a LOT of patterns that are in my book, that I did come up with and name, many others are from Clemens book. Nowhere have I stated that I invented all the patterns in my book, I don't even mention which ones I came up with that are in there.

Lorenzo, shoot me an e-mail, I'll sell you the pattern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 07:50PM by Billy Vivona.

Date: October 18, 2012 07:58PM

Mr Vivona, I never said you invented them. All I am saying is that I did. I don't mind anyone useing them, and never said that you were trying to take credit. I have never seen your book although I would like to. I presented these patterns free of charge to all at RodCrafters seminars, Sportsmens Expos, several AFTMA shows, etc. I took exception to the post that said "It would be illegal, and that someone shouldn't share these patterns, especially when I developed many of them. That is all. sorry to upset you. Just tired of some, not necessarily you, taking credit for my work. Randy

Date: October 18, 2012 08:07PM

There are no less than at least a dozen persons who claim to have invented the wraps mentioned.

It remains illegal to copy and distribute any copyrighted material, regardless of who may have developed the patterns. If you scan/copy anything from the Clemens book and distribute it, you are in violation of copyright laws.

Date: October 18, 2012 08:10PM

They are all Liars.

Date: October 18, 2012 08:31PM

They may well be liars, however, it remains illegal to copy and distribute information or illustrations from a book. Only the publisher of said book can grant such permission.

Date: October 18, 2012 08:33PM

Ok, my apologies then.I dont' want anyone to think that I took credit for the patterns which are in my book that I did not come up with myself. I have been forthright in letting people know that I did learn from Clemens book, and that a lot of my book is a simplified version of CRTA - I did explain the pattern layout and sequences completely different though.

Date: October 18, 2012 08:48PM

Mr Vivona, no appologies needed. Mr Kirkman you are right, you need permission to do so. I broke off my connection with Dale Clemens when he called me up and told me he had submitted a book review in my name to a number of different book review sources without asking me in advance. This was for his Custom Rod Thread Art book. I hadn't even seen the book at the time. I was upset, and told him so. When the book came out months later, I was not listed as a contributor, and others were credited with my designs. I never spoke to him since. I taught him more about wraps than he ever knew. So did many others who I doubt ever received credit for their work. Joy Dunlop, Liz Pullam, and many others contributed much to his books, mainly by contributing at his seminars and through the RodCrafters Journal, but never received the credit that was due them. I have not been able to make rods for a number of years due to hand injuries, but I am now able to continue. Hope to make some more inovative wraps, and beautiful rods. I hope I haven't offended anyone. Randy

Date: October 18, 2012 08:59PM

All I'm going to add is...THANK YOU to all the guys who took the time to figure this art form out, and share techniques patterns and everything else with other builders, who passed it on to others, and to myself. I go through great lengths to continue teaching and sharing what I have learned form others as well as on my own, and promoting the heck out of this art form to try and get the info to as many builders as I possibly can reach. This year I will have done a Dec Wrap presentation/seminar in NY, NJ, MA, FL, NC, IA, and IL, and I hope that next year I will have these and more opportuinities to help builders learn the craft. I hope that when my rodbuilding career comes to an end, that someone else take this torch and continues to pass it on to others.

Date: October 18, 2012 09:01PM

I think all is well.

Date: October 18, 2012 09:03PM

Mr Vivona, good post. I hope you continue teaching and promoting. I hope to meet you some day. Best regards, Randy

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 18, 2012 09:15PM

Hi Randolph,
I think it's fabulous that you are still able to stay in the rodbuilding craft. I hope you remain well and are able to contribute to the craft. This forum is a great place and I hope to see some of your extensive knowledge in the future. Although I've been building for a lot of years I've never been big on decorative wraps but I'm still in awe of what some of you guys are able to do.
Stay safe and well.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: October 18, 2012 09:58PM

I don't mean to start a fire! I am truly sorry, about my ignorance about copywritten laws, I just didn't want to spend 30$ or more right now with Christmas coming up, kinda tight right now, I will probably just do a simple Chevron that I know by rememberance. Thanks all for the law school on copyright, Tight wraps all!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 10:53PM

Lorenzo,

The Flex-Coat cross-wrap pattern booklets are still available. Each booklet (there are 2) has 3 or 4 patterns and sold for about
5$ US and ship for a buck. Not sure what they sell for now but they are listed on the Flex-Coat website.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: October 19, 2012 03:01AM

Lorenzo, let me know if you need help, be happy to oblige. Randy

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 09:10PM

Randy,
Good to see you here!

Date: October 21, 2012 05:48PM

Randolph, If you read this topic again please contact me,@, indiglofish61@yahoo.com. hope to hear from you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster