I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nightcrawler Secret Rod
Posted by: David Hensley (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: October 17, 2012 03:25PM

Hello, I am looking for a Nightcrawler Secrets Rod, my buddy has one and I would love to have one. I have looked to no avail and was wondering if anyone on this forum has any advice on where/how to find one. My other option would be to have one made and advice/opinions are also wanted concerning that. So if anyone has any info or a actual rod they would be willing to part with let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nightcrawler Secret Rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 03:35PM

Here try this

[search.yahoo.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 17, 2012 03:40PM

Already tried that....have found some info but not an actual rod for sale

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 03:56PM

I have built 2 back in the day, an 8' and 9'.
They were fibreglass fly blanks.
Nowadays we still use those kind of rods for that very reason and also for UL Spinning rods with lures.
The powers we used back then were about 5 and 6 wt.
Today, someyhing like a Batson Forecast RX6 fly blank will work very well, will be just a tad "faster" action than they were.
I lile the 8' to 9' in 5 or 6 wt for all around use 4 wt for a lighter power.
We used to use ours for all kinds of live and prepared bait fishing.
Hanging on to a 20 lb carp on 4# test line was a hoot.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: October 17, 2012 04:01PM

Either check out the specks of your friends rod and build it
Or
look for a rod with the same specks as his
What I sent you should tell you what to look for in a blank or the rod itself

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 04:02PM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 17, 2012 04:14PM

I finally realized what ya were getting at lol thanks

Date: October 17, 2012 04:17PM

Mountain Home.... my Dads buddy had a farm there..... we used to go to Bull Shoals for years to fish on the lake and White River....So are you still building those rods ?

Date: October 17, 2012 05:16PM

David
Once you get the specks of the rod you want Go to Wallmart or who ever and pick some thing out

Keep the receipt just in case

You can make a better rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 07:24AM

Hi David,
Yes, we still build the "Secrets" rods by customer order.
'We do have some in various powers and lengths already built in stock.
They are all individually handcrafted on Fly Rod blanks.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: October 18, 2012 04:40PM

David, I have built several, including one about a year and a half ago on an 8' 5-weight fiberglass Lamiglas blank. You don't want graphite for a Nightcrawler Secrets rod because the action will be too fast and will throw live bait off the hook when fished with no weight per the original technique. Fiberglass, especially a lighter-action fiberglass fly rod, has a softer action, which is why the original Nightcrawler Secrets rods were built on fiberglass fly rod blanks. Fenwick used to make an awesome fiberglass fly blank but they're out of the blank business now; the Lami fiberglass blanks are pretty nice, have built several rods on them. I specialize in these rods for bluegill fishing, have made a couple dozen over the years. If you're a live bait fisherman, you won't believe the difference one of these rods can make (when built on fiberglass).

Let me know if I can help - would be happy to build you one.
Walt Foreman
931-374-0536

Date: October 22, 2012 12:56PM

Yes indeed they are awesome rods, and I agree they should be made of glass blanks, kind of defeats the purpose if made from anything else. I want to try these for smallmouth bass, think it would be a hoot. The old fenwick blanks can be found, I love em. I cant seem to find specs on them aside that they were built on fenwick fly blanks and utilized spinning guides I believe. Its odd that you cant find specs on these rods. Worst thing is my buddy has one....I want to know what kind of guides, etc it has and he always seems to "forget" to lend it to me lmao. Do you have email ?

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: October 24, 2012 12:35AM

Hey David, my e-mail is jesse.foreman@gmail.com. Give me a shout and we'll get you an awesome smallmouth rod built.

Posted by: John Kruger (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 11:54PM

David, I have a vintage Fenwick Nightcrawler Secrets rod from Northland Tackle, Milwaukee still in its original plastic wrap...never used.
I would consider selling it...all original markings/stickers are intact and perfect...still interested? John 920-740-2020

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster