I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting reelseats
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 13, 2012 03:49AM

Toying with the idea of getting an aero reelseat painted. Thinking about automotive metal flake. Any suggestions or encountered problems greatly appreciated.
I've been looking through the "grips, handles and reelseats" section looking for some ideas on a couple of things and I'm blown away with the amount of top quality stuff there is in just that section. A lot of of top notch builders in this world!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting reelseats
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 13, 2012 04:50AM

Hi Col,

I did a test on an Aero a few weeks back, and used some car paint that I had left over from spraying my rod.

I painted it the same colour as the rod, and it came out great.

I put some permagloss over it and it bought out the colour.

The only issues I had were;

- I sanded the threads way too much - so I can't use this one any more.
- when I pushed my finger nail in quite hard I could chip out some paint and permagloss.

I think I will put a coat of primer underneath the next two, just to give it better adhesion.

I hope to have them done by the SEARBS meeting next month, providing I can sort out some EVA issues.

Richard

Date: October 13, 2012 07:18AM

Hi Richard,
That helps as i was wondering about the need for undercoat. as two pack usually doesn't bond too well without it. Definitely catch you on the 12th, will send you an email with the SEARBs details in the next couple of weeks.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 07:22AM

Make sure to prep it properly. i never had to cut the treads down. there is enough play in them to allow it to work. Just keep the paint thin. I use a plastic primer that is clear that I get from the Ford dealer through the parts dept. It is an adhesion promoter and works quite well.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: October 13, 2012 07:51AM

Hi Fred,
Wasn't going to touch the threads as there is usually enough play. How do you prep yours before paint?. The local panel beater will do the painting but I can do all the prep work.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2012 11:43AM

i have had the best luck taking off the coating they put on it and hitting it with a primer before painting

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 03:14PM

There is a special auto primer just for the plastic parts. I have never painted a reelseat but I would try that primer. I got it at the auto paint store, ppg or dupont.

Date: October 13, 2012 06:14PM

Thank you gents.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 09:16PM

just a good scuffing with a scotch brite pad take the shine off it

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 10:23PM

Remember if the hood fits a little snag with two coats of paint and at least one coat of clear will add to it and fit tight

I always put them in a lath take them down so when the paint and clear go on it becomes the same OD
Or less

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.133.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 14, 2012 01:24AM

hi Col,

Use a primer mate one for plastics with adhesion promoter i use it when i airbrush plastic stuff all the time i'll bring some own to the meet up.

Cheers
Mark Newcombe

Date: October 14, 2012 01:30AM

Thanks again
Fred, Bill and Mark.
Won't be long now Mark, looking forward to it and to meeting up with you. I think Mark Fisher will keep us occupied all day

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jay Cook (---.scansafe.net)
Date: October 14, 2012 08:03PM

Sent you an email Col.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 14, 2012 08:09PM

Hi Jay,
Wiped that email as I didn't know where it came from!!. Too much spam. Appologies, send it again if you can.
Don't worry Jay I got it, must have been other stuff i wiped. Thaks for that.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 10:31PM by Col Chaseling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster