I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

13 1/2 float rod for bait caster reel
Posted by: kelly chow (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 11, 2012 09:56PM

I have a request to build a raven im8 - 13 1/2ft. float rod to be used with a bait casting reel. Would the rod twist too much at the tip section when the rod is loaded up if all the guides are place on the top of the rod? Should i use an acid wrap on the guides to prevent the twisting, and if I use an acid wrap how many guides should be used to offset around the rod? Or is building such a rod not a very good idea? Any suggestions would be a great help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 13 1/2 float rod for bait caster reel
Posted by: Doug Lockwood (---.lightspeed.whtnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 12, 2012 01:21AM

I have a light popping rod done in the Roberts / Spiral / Acid style.
I love that rod. Had it 15 years, and fish with it every excuse I get.
The one I did was 0, 60, 120, 180, then normal spinning setup.
Other methods may work as well, never tried any other way.

Since I adopted Micro guides, I build all my casting rods Spiral.
I would definitely do a 13' 6" rod with the smallest guides that will pass any required knots.
I would do a spiral if I wanted it to be a casting rod. Lets face it, its a preference thing.
I personally would use the Minima 4 M series #5 for the stripper guide, with #4 or 4L for the spiral.

I personally think the rod would be a great tool.
Lets face it, a spinning rod might be more practical, but a good quality baitcaster can throw some light lures today.
And I carry a closed face real (don't tell anyone) :) when it gets really windy.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Re: 13 1/2 float rod for bait caster reel
Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2012 08:57PM

I just finished a 12' rod in this configuration and it turned out great. I used the dale clemens style of spiral wrap. The only thing that I changed was to add one more middle casting guide. 16, 12, 12, and then a single foot 10, after that all single foot 8's. I added the extra double foot casting guide in size 12 because I use heavier lines and the pressure was quite severe on the middle guide, I feel the 2nd middle guide helps to even out the pressure better. If you were running 10lb or lighter you could get away with single foots earlier on . This only my personal opinion, there are many ways to go abou this. I use #14lb test mono at all times.

If this rod is to be used in the great lakes region during the winter months then forget micro guides. My rod has all single foot size 8's after the casting guides. Smaller guides freeze up way too easily, another popular option is to use a regular single fooot guide in place of the tip top, this helps to reduce freeze up and build up of ice on the tip.

If this rod is for more milder climates then micro guides are a real possiblilty. I have never used them as I fish primarily in the winter months. Yes, I am that crazy.

It might be helpful to use some rubber tubing to temporarily hold the guides and get a mock up going of various guide configurations and then do some test casting and stress tests and decide for yourself.

Lastly, I use a left handed reel and I put my guides spiraling to the right and it seemed to help alot. My previous baitcaster was sprialed to the left with a left hand reel, it felt a bit awkward like that. Hard to explain. I picked that tip up from this site in a previous post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster