I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gluing a larger Diameter EVA Grip
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 11, 2012 07:57AM

Hi All,

I am about to glue my first EVA grip, which is slighty larger than the blank diameter.

The gap ranges from 2-3 millimetres over the length of the grip, which is a split grip.

What is the best way to fill the gap? Thread, tape or other.

I will be using Rodbond.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gluing a larger Diameter EVA Grip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2012 08:37AM

I would use thread, wrapped in a spiral with spaces of roughly 1/8th inch. You have to spiral up, and then back down again depending upon how much space you have to take up.

At some point, it becomes impractical to take up too much space, and you're better off sourcing a new grip that is more appropriately sized for your blank.

Date: October 11, 2012 08:55AM

Hi Tom,

Is 2-3mm too much to make up?

Thanks,

Richard

Date: October 11, 2012 09:26AM

At 3mm total, that's 1.5mm around and that's a lot. You may find that a couple winds of thread won't do it, in which case you might try small diameter micro-cord or similar. But I'd say you're pushing the limit of what you can do and still get a nice, long lasting end result.

Date: October 11, 2012 09:48AM

This is an ultra light MHX blank, so it wont have a lot of strain on it.

I will re-check the gaps and see what is best.

Thanks again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2012 10:15AM

Best thing to do IMHO is to order the correct size Measure the areas that the handles will go get them a tad smaller then if you ream you can get a nice snug fit

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 11, 2012 10:56AM

Sometimes those UL blanks are so small that it's tough to find grips to fit them. In that case, you do what you must.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2012 12:30PM

Just put a few wraps of tape on the rod to fill the gap. Use narrower tape so that you can leave space between the wraps for epoxy. The tape will act as a spacer and the glue will nicely lock the handle in place.

Folks sometimes discount tape, but tape works perfectly well, as long as you leave small gaps between rows of tape wrap. The gap gets filled with epoxy to supply any necessary adhesion of the grip to the blank.

Roger

Date: October 11, 2012 12:41PM

prep the blank area where the where the handle will sit for good grip

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bobby stout (---.redriver.army.mil)
Date: October 11, 2012 03:53PM

I use the self sticking mesh dry wall tape and do the same as with tape. The dry wall tape will allow the glue to soak down to the blank.

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Date: October 11, 2012 04:49PM

If you do it correctly you can glue a reel seat arbor in it Then ream to fit the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 11, 2012 06:18PM

G'Day Richard I had the same problem last week on a UL & used thread as Tom suggested & it came out perfectly . I have also used the dry wall tape with success also.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster