I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foregrip Help
Posted by: Oli Wright (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 06, 2012 06:25PM

Hi everyone,
To start this is my first post on rodbuilding.org and I am currently in the process of planning/making my first rod! Can't wait for everything to arrive so I can get stuck in!

Now onto my question. The rod that I am building is using a MHX SJ782-2 blank. I plan on using a Fuji VSS reel seat with a KDPS hood (or VSS-KN off Matagi). For the foregrip I want to use two different types of cork, a standard cork on top with a darker brown spotted rubber cork ring as the base. To do this I was planning on using a tappered cork foregrip - super grade from mudhole then cutting it in half where the taper ends and using the spotted rubber cork ring to place under the tapered cork. The only problem with this is that the base of the tapered foregrip is 1" OD and the spotted cork has a 1 1/4" OD. Is it possible to cut, sand, or whatever the spotted ring down to 1"OD? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oli Wright
Byron Coast
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foregrip Help
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 06:50PM

Oli,
On that reel seat, the simplest solution to your issue is to build the rod with NO fore grip.
Really, not much reason to have a fore grip on this particular reel seat.

If you do want to make a fore grip just cut each piece of grip where you want it to be cut. Then, use 5 minute epoxy to glue the pieces together. Then, put them on a lathe mandrel and turn the fore grip to the
shape that you want.

If you don't have a lathe, just take a piece of threaded rod, put a nut on one end, slip the grip over the threaded rod. If the threaded rod is too small for a nice fit, then just build up the threaded rod with masking tape for a better fit.
Then, just put the end of the threaded rod in a corner of a work bench or leg to brace it and hold the variable speed drill in the other hand to spin up the fore grip. Use a piece of sand paper on a block to shape the fore grip to the shape that you want. Start with a bit coarser sand paper, and go to as fine as you wish to get the final finish on the grip. Don't get in a hurry, and keep the speed down on the drill to keep everything under control and you can quickly and easily shape the grip the way that you want it.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2012 06:58PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 07:27PM

I second what Roger said. loose the fore grip and get a nice alum. winding check.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 06, 2012 07:29PM

Gday there Oli and welcome.

I have built a few rods using the VSS reel seats and they are a favourite of mine.I just used the quick lock foregrip over the KDPS locking nut.
There shouldnt be any problem doing what you want but the thickness of the cork walls could be a problem.

When you are putting the rear grip on you want to get a nice clean job.If you use cable ties with some soft cardboard to stop any marks on
the grip you can get the foregrip snug up against the reel seat.I was struggling on my first one but got help here.If you need any help let me
know.

Good luck with your build

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 10:14PM

Not a VSS, but an NPS size 20. I think this is what you're looking for? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 07, 2012 12:04AM

Oli
Í've been thinking about a similar build using burl cork and anythings possible if you have the patience but I always worry about durability with the KDPS , for the KDPS17 your looking at 22mm ID and 25mm OD, its a tough job to sand your cork to 1.5mm thickness and not have any flaws,nor does it allow for any wear, a bit of carbon tube from Matagi is quick and durable solution.
Regards Charles

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 07:25AM

As long as you don't make the foregip longer than the KDPS "base", there's no issue. I have several of the KDPS's on my rods and they are great. I don't know how people can fish with no foregrip, the shape I have in my pic is perfect as it allows your thumb to sit naturally when making a fist. MY spin seats are bigger, size 20, I hate small seats they make my hand cramp, even moreso with no foregrip.

Posted by: Oli Wright (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 07, 2012 08:00AM

Thankyou everyone for your replies, your help is much appreciated! I understand what has been said about it being hard to get the cork ID so wide leaving only a few mm's of cork. I have decided that I will either use a carbon tube or one of the specially made KDPS Foregrips from Mudhole, though I definitely want a foregrip. Just a few questions that may seem off topic though have popped up recently: is it possible to buy an equivalent to the KDPS locking nut for an American Tackle Aero or will the KDPS fit on it? Also I am tossing up between using straight through Alconite K's or SiC stripper and tip with Recoils in between, what do you think?

Oli Wright
Byron Coast
Australia

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.230.124.---)
Date: October 07, 2012 09:03AM

The KDPS will fit on the American Tackle Aero seat [www.rodbuilding.org] and it is easy enough to make a Cap out of EVA or Cork.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 08, 2012 06:05AM

Hi Oli

Firstly if you use a KDPS locking nut its a size 16 to fit the aero comfort seat please anyone correct me if i am wrong.

If you are going to use the comfort seat check if you are going to use it uplocking or down locking.I am building two at
the moment for friends and they will be up locking.But i will build one for myself which will be downlocking as i prefer to grip
above the reel seat.

I have built most of my rods with tit sic stripper and tip top and tit recoils and love them.You will hear a lot of negative comments
about recoils but i have had no problems with them at all.Just a personal preference thats all.I am just building some up with
KBs and KTSs so cant comment on them yet.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster