I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ring Size
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 01, 2012 02:43PM

Building a Quickline FASW11074 I cant make up my mind what size running guides to use? Using TICH Minima guides Thanks for your help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ring Size
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2012 02:50PM

The smallest that will easily pass your line and any required connections.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: October 01, 2012 04:36PM

Is this a fly rod? I think you should stick to nothing smaller than a size 6. Just MHO unless you have more information on the type connections, LTL or whatever.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 01, 2012 08:16PM

Maryann:

I am just finishing a 9' 5wt. QuickLine. I did it all in Minima 4 Guides. I used the black frame and chrome ring. wrapped it in black with silver metallic trim. Used the polished aluminum Pac-Bay reel seat with black woven graphite insert. It is very nice. I used the Minima F guides in size 6 for the running guides. We talked about Pac-Bay not making a fly type tip top larger than a size 4 ring. I talked to Pac-Bay about this, and was told that they were working on larger ring size fly tip tops. I used a light spinning rod tip top in size 6, and will replace it with a fly rod tip top when the new guides come out. The size 6 guides are a little large for a 5wt, but the size 4's would be a little small. Size 5's would have been perfect, but Pac-Bay doesn't have a size 5 light tip top. I don't know how they would work for a 7wt line. I would go with the size 6 Minima 4 running guides. What is really strange; When I talked to Pac-Bay, I was talking to their tech guys that build rods. I asked about going to a size 4 guide for this build? The guy I was talking to said he would do some consulting and call me back. When he called back, He said that they wouldn't use smaller than size 5 running guides for a 5wt line. When you go to the guide spacing and size chart for the QuickLine blanks, they call for a Minima F in size 4 for their running guides for both the 9', and 11 foot rods. I think someone needs to re-evaluate this chart.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 10:15PM

Maryann:

i sent an email to Pac-Bay about their recommendations for running guides. They recommend size 4 Minima "F" guides for rods up to 10 Wt. I recieved this reply from them today: "I would agree with you that in my personal preference, I would likely use a size 5 Minima guide on a 10 wt single handed rod. However, I did test a 650 grain 10 wt spey line at the large taper and nail knot (far larger OD than any 10 wt single handed line) and it fits nicely through Minima size 4 F guides.". I know that I am just a duffer when it comes to casting a fly rod, but I tried a 6 wt. line with soft loop connection through the Minima F guides in size 4. It will work, but it looked really small to me. I wish I had thought things out a little farther before I used the Minima size 6 running guides on my 5 wt. build. I would have gone with the Minima size 5 guides, and used a different tip top. Then replace the tip top with the Minima size 5 tip top when it comes out I may go back and change this. I used the Minima 4 black with chrome guides, and they don't make a Minima size 5 tip top (yet). Since this is my rod, I will simply change the running guides, and use a black loop fly rod tip top, and replace it when the build a Minima 4 size 5 tip top to match the guides. If I was building a rod with chrome Minima 4 guides, I would have used the small loop tip top and forgotten about it.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster