I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clean crisp edges on finish...how?
Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 03:09PM

I've been strolling through photos of finished guide wraps and I have noticed some of the them have very crisp, clean edges to the thread finish while others do not. Is there a method to getting these nice edges or just lots of practice? In my mind's eye, I imagine the possibility of applying tape to get a good line, applying finish and then removing the tape to get that nice edge?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clean crisp edges on finish...how?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2012 03:31PM

It's easier than you think. You need to support the heel of your hand with a book or wood block (or whatever) and then just hold the finish loaded brush against the wrap protruding perhaps just a 16th of an inch or so beyond the edge of the thread. Now turn the rod 360 degrees. That's it.

Once you learn to apply finish quickly (the full instructions are above in that first paragraph) it becomes almost automatic. I shouldn't take you more than maybe 30 seconds to coat a guide wrap. Just turn the rod under a loaded brush - don't pick, poke, jab and paint.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 03:34PM

As Tom noted PLUS practice, practice and more practice.

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 03:41PM

Man I love this place, good folks happy to share knowledge...THANKS!!

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: September 19, 2012 04:48PM

Once you get the hang of it you are going to find a favorite "edging" brush that is cut just right for the way you edge.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 05:35PM

Mark,
One thing that helps a lot is to finish the rod edge when the rod is spinning quickly.
With a quick turning rod, any variation is the edge finish is quickly evened out.

REW

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lnk.telstra.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 08:18AM

Tom and others,

I use a speed of 5 RPM for my wrapper. Its one set speed that I use for both wrapping and drying (using a microwave oven motor)
Should I also be able to coat a guide wrap in 30 seconds at that speed and just apply it with a loaded brush?

I'm happy to admit that I do paint it on a little bit, but I am generally very happy with my results.

I just interested to hear of the techniques that other people use, but my feeling is that the high speed power wrappers can use different methods to slower turning ones.

Dale

Hobart, TAS
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 09:49AM

Dale,
When I first started, I used my dryer motor at 6 rpm to apply finish.
Even though it worked all right, it did take quite a while to get the finish applied.

Now, I use my power wrapper to apply finish at speeds as fast as I can handle. Much much quicker and much more even.

Then, depending on whether I am building only a single rod, or multiple rods for the day, I will either leave the rod on the power wrapper at a fixed drying speed, or transfer the rod / s, to the drum dryer for long term drying.

Generally, I like to apply finish at about 100 rpm, stopping at the guide feet and tunnel when needed to fill in the spots at those locations. Then, another quick spin to even the edges and a final slow down for long term drying.

Roger

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.61.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:05AM

Well now then , you'll just made my day . I have been doing it the hard way. Paint, jab,poke and pick at it, than take a strip of rag some alcohol, run it on the wrapper to clean up the mess I tried so hard not make. I used tape that did some better but not right. Now you guys give me a better way. Thank you all. made my day!!!!!!!

Richard Curry

Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:23AM

i load the finish on about 80 RPM then when covered I stop the turner Let excess hang - guides up - take the excess off then start the turner I do have two speeds on mine using pulleys

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 05:23PM

I have a power wrapper with a drying motor but I apply the finish by hand. Load a spatula and give it one quick spin with my fingers and I get a clean edge every time. Seems to work for me. Once on each end, then fill in the middle as needed, then move on. 30 seconds or less per guide. I know others use a higher speed motor for application which would be good as well.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster