I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KYRBS - Kentucky Rodbuilders
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.static.insightbb.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 03:41PM

I'm trying to start a group, similar to the NERBS and the other area groups. If I can get enough interest, I'd like do at least a couple get togethers throughout the year, with the first being maybe next spring or summer around KY and Barkley Lakes, maybe try to hit the panfish and bass spawns. If interested in this group, reply to this tread and list your email, so that I can start putting together a list. Also, I created a facebook group call the KYRBS, so go join it if interested.

Thanks,
Jeremy Reed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KYRBS - Kentucky Rodbuilders
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 03:49PM

Let me know if I can help you in any way, it is a big undertaking. My first tip to you is get someone to help you as soon as you can.

Date: September 18, 2012 04:06PM

Thanks for the offer Mr. Morse. Hopefully some interest will be generated in it.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 04:32PM

I agree with Don.

Don`t let that deter you because it is worth the time and the effort it takes.

After it is over you realize every one had a good time and they all went home with more than they came with. New ideas, New builders who may get together more often, plus may other benefits.

My third one is coming up in November. I`m not good at it , but everyone seems to enjoy them.

Send an e-mail if I can help.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2012 05:32PM

Hi Jeremy,
It's definitely worth the efort. Definitely get someone to help if possible. Get some flyers made up and put them in the local tackle shops and boat ramps as it helps to generate a few. The SEARBS group has also got it's third meet in November and were lucky enough to get Mark Fisher as a guest speaker. Even got one guy who's prepared to drive 16 hours to have a meet with him, that's definitely keen. If there's enough interest in Australia where the population is small and scattered compared to the States you should do ok. Good luck.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:05PM

Jeremy I would definitley be interested,any where in that area.Im 1-2 hr south from Ky. or Barkley ,depending on where.Im in Tn.Jay Hunt would most likely be interested,hes around Bowling Green I believe.He fishes at Ky. Lake some.My email is unhidden. Holler anytime. Sonny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 10:15PM by Bruce Kemp.

Posted by: Ben Claxton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 11:15AM

I'd be interested. I'm in E. Tn.

bdclaxton at yahoo.com

Date: September 19, 2012 01:46PM

Sounds good. I'll put you two down. I talked to Jay in the past, and I think he'd be interested too.
jwr

Date: September 19, 2012 01:46PM

Sounds good. I'll put you two down. I talked to Jay in the past, and I think he'd be interested too.
jwr

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 19, 2012 03:50PM

Jeremy, I grew up in Paducah but have lived in Missouri since getting out of the Army in 1969. Been fly fishing since I was 8 and am just getting into rod building. I'd be interested in your group and attending a meeting if I can fit into my schedule. Please, keep me posted as to your progress.

Jerry Cook

Date: September 19, 2012 04:17PM

Will do Mr. Cook. I'm actually about to move back to the Paducah area. I grew up in Marshall Co., but I have spent the last 4 years in Louisville working. I'm looking forward to being able to fish KY and Barkley a couple times a week again.

Date: September 19, 2012 05:39PM

Jeremy, I've fished Ky Lake as a kid for Crappie, but my Dad and I fished the oxbow lakes of Ballard County for big bluegill on a fly rod. What a hoot. I started using a fly rod when I was about 8. I'm 65 now and retired but more busy now than when I actually worked. I'm on pace to be on the water at least 80 days this year. Shooting for 100 but don't think it is going to happen. Great Trout and Smallmouth fishing here in Missouri. Getting into building fly rods just for those two species.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: September 19, 2012 10:03PM

Mr. Cook,
If you have facebook, be sure to join the group online. I've never done much fishing around Ballard, but I used to do a lot of duck and goose hunting down there. I'm planning on making some panfish fly fishing rods soon. I'd love to find some redears with a fly rod.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 08:58AM

The hardest part of setting these up is getting people to attend. I get most of the people to attend from local fishing websites, my advantage is the NYC area has so many people to pull from in a very centralized area. BUild it and they will come. People come out of teh woodworks once the word starts to spread, you just have to figure out how to spread the word.

YOu will need a good spot to meet up, imo the best is at someone'e shop who has a wrapper and/or lathes and other tools. Not to mention the space to fit 5-hopefully 10 people somewhat comfortably, and a spouse who doesnt' mind random men from teh internet to use their bathroom and be in their home. If you have to rent a location, then you start running into a lot of complications. YOu can also meet up more frequently if you have a shop to use, and if people bail out then you can just hang out and sit around your house without stressing over the money laid out for a hall or room, as well as the inconvenience of taking all your stuff to that location and getting it set up for nothing.

I've always had good attendance at The NERBs gatherings since I started them in 2004. I never stopped pushing and promoting and trying to get people to attend, and there are no signs of them slowing down. I'm happy to see people taking the initiative and trying to start these up in various locations and countries.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: September 21, 2012 09:47PM

Jeremy
I live about 45 minutes from Kentucky Lake, (Paris Landing area). Sorry on the Tennessee side. I have about 60 rods being fished on KY lake.
Would like to be in the loop. I started fishing these two lakes in the early 70's and have never stopped. Started building about 4 years ago.

Date: September 22, 2012 05:40PM

Sorry Mark that you're on the TN side of things, but I will look past it. I'm in the process of moving back to the lake area, so I'm looking right now at a meeting maybe in May-ish. I think we can get by without having to rent a hall or anything. I've got a couple places I'm looking at having an event, they would either be in Grand Rivers (sits between barkley and ky lake) or in the Sharpe area of Marshall County (about 20mins from KY Lake. This place also has a good size stocked pond on the property for testing setups). Both places are close to water so we could test setups.

Date: September 22, 2012 06:30PM

Mr. Cook,
What is your email address?

Date: September 24, 2012 08:26PM

Jeremy, JCHDGuy09@yahoo.com. If your first meeting is in May, no way I'll be able to make it. I'm the rally coordinator for the 2013 Missouri State HOG Rally (for Harley Owners Group) and our rally is the end of May. Already up to my eyeballs in work for that. Got a rod to build before Smallmouth season and going to be pressed to get it started.

On another subject, any thoughts on the Batson RX8 blanks vs the MHX blanks?

Thanks,

Jerry Cook

Date: September 25, 2012 08:00PM

Both blanks are good. I like the RX8 blank better than the MHX. The HM-MHX are also good, but for the most part, I like RX8 better. I've got 3 RX8 in my arsenal but no MHX. The MHXs that I've built, people love them and the sensitivity.

What are you going to use the blank for?

Date: October 02, 2012 09:06AM

Jeremy, I was planning on building this rod for my self and use it for large Brown Trout (big streamers) and Smallmouth Bass. Got some big ones here in Missouri. I've built 3,4,5 and 6 wt rods but never an 8wt. A buddy bought a TFO BVK back in the spring for Steelhead. I cast it a bit one day we were trout fishing. I Iiked it, but I personally like fast action rods and I didn't feel the BVK was what I was looking for. I want to build some rods to have on hand for sale so the customer doesn't have to wait weeks for his rod. I'm considering RX7 and RX8 blanks in 4 and 6 wt. Might even consider a 3wt. 4 and 6 are the most popular in this area but I love a Greys 9'6" 3 wt I have. Gets real sporty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster