I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27x method
Posted by: steven leslie (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 02:53PM

Greetings all , I have read many posts on this forum and I keep hitting on the 27x method of guide placement . Briefly , what does that mean ? Thanks for all the other info that I have gleaned from this website. It has given me a great deal of confidence about building my own custom rod. Regards , Stevereno

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27x method
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 03:21PM

This should answer your questions:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

In short, it's a method of laying out guides on a spinning rod that happens to work extremely well. Highly recommended.

Drew

Posted by: steven leslie (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 05:01PM

In a nutshell- outstanding , Sir! That splains it perfectly. Thanks again , Stevereno

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2012 05:12PM

By the way, I get asked often (and did not include this in the article) where did the factor of 27 come from? If you take 100 outfits that have been tuned to optimum one at a time, by trial and error, and average the choker location on each per the spool diameter on each, the resulting factor is 27. I know - I did it.

In other words, the factor of 27 isn't just an arbitrary figure. It was arrived at from a variety of outfits including those fishing mono and some fishing braid, some large diameter and some small diameter lines. Thus, it may be possible to tweak the choker location and perhaps get a little better performance in some instances depending on your particular and specific set up. However, it also means that no matter what reel or line you're running, if you use the factor of 27, it'll work very, very well.

My experience has been that if you're braided line or very small and supple mono, you may be able to move the choker guide location a bit close and do just as well or perhaps even a tad better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster