I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe review....
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 11:56AM

Hi guys,

Looking into getting a lathe for turning grips. Tired of using the drill/hand method. haha.

Anyone know anything about this one?

[www.harborfreight.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe review....
Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.49.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 01:17PM

Looks like the M Power lathe I picked up at a local wood working store 4+ years ago. If it is, it has served me very well without a hint of trouble. I would recommend it for rod building.

Posted by: Ed Hermoyian (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 03:08PM

I have the smaller model. I think it is 14 inches. First one I got burned out in less than a month. HF replaced it a year and a half ago and it is still running. Will upgrade when this one goes. Good luck.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 14, 2012 03:52PM

I looked at this one and settled on the #34706.
It was on sale for around $180 and a steal at that.
I preferred the extra power from a 3/4 hp motor and wider range of speeds.
. I added about 100 lbs to its overall mass with a concrete slab.
It has basically zero vibration.
It runs true.
I use two 1/2 inch MT2 chucks on it ($16 from HF) or a mandrel plus live center type rig and its fine for what i turn on rods.
I may get a Barracuda chuck too later this year but the need is not there now, mandrels alone do what i need at this stage.
If i have a criticism it would be slowest speed is not always slow enough so i have a gap between 200 and the true around 600 rpm that my one has.
The model you are looking at starts at 750 rpm, that may be too high for some tasks on a rod handle.
But variable speed while running is nice.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 05:06PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Really appreciate it!

Posted by: Jeff Frei (67.54.176.---)
Date: September 14, 2012 05:25PM

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Don't forget the 20% coupon- good for another $38 off. I got mine for $152 + shipping of 7bucks. Got a 4 jaw and a MT drill chuck. It's solid and quiet. Speed change is very easy, some guys complain but I can't see why. Takes a timed minute to change speeds. Centers line up perfectly by eye. No complaints yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 05:27PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 07:25PM

Jeff,
I picked up basically the same lathe in different paint with a different manufacturer on it a while back and it is working well.

I also have the lathe bed extension and it is a very nice feature to have on the lathe. Lots and lots of time, I have used the lathe bed extension to make my jobs easier.

I have a machinist friend who turned back plates for two older metal turning chucks. In order to get a perfect job for the chuck back plates, I removed the headstock shaft and screwed the new back plates to the headstock shaft.

Then my friend used his very large expensive metal working lathe to put a perfect turn on the back plates to bolt to the heavy chucks that I owned from previous lathes.

By using the current lathe head stock while turning the new back plates, the back plates had essentially 0 run out. i.e. I can put a 3 foot rod in the large 6 inch chuck and turn it at 3000 rpm with no run out, and no vibration.

I picked up keyless 1/2 inch chucks for both tail stock as well as head stock.
I also picked up a 3/4 - 16 to 1X8 thread adapter so my smaller chucks from my previous lathes would fit on the new lathe. Then, I used the new lathe to drill a large hole through the back of the thread adapter, so that I can run a mandrel or blank through the chuck and head stock if needed.

Another nice accessory that I picked up was a 5/8th headstock grooved pin with a retractable center pin. This allows me to turn handles of smaller diameter without having the lathe tools hit the head stock attachment pin.

As one of the other posters suggested, speed changing is very quick. I leave the belt doors off of the lathe for instant access to the belt. It only takes a minute or so to change speed. A variable speed would be nice, but when I had a variable speed dc lathe, there was always a start up lag on the motor. It is nice to have the motor instant off and instant on, when frequently stopping the work to check for work piece dimensions.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Jeff Frei (12.213.112.---)
Date: September 15, 2012 08:25AM

Roger, sounds like you're set up pretty well. As a hobbiest I can live with what I have now, but I can see myself buying a smaller 3 jaw chuck in the future. I didn't get the bed extension thinking that if I needed the extra length I can make a stand with rollers (steady rest) to clamp on my bench. My brother is a very skilled machinest and if I need something really cool I can call on him, otherwise we're talking wood with rollers or if I have to, spring for the extension for 75 bucks although I have seen them cheaper when I wasn't in the market for one. Great idea using the headstock shaft as a mandrel to true up the backing plates.

Looks like a great fall day to go fishing, bye
Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster