I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming hard EVA?
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 07:52PM

Working on a spinning rod project using Fuji SK2 grips with EVA foregrip and handle. My usual reaming on cork starts with a rat tail file then works up to reamers but the EVA is hard and I made little progress in 20-30 minutes. Is there an easier way? The file and reamer seem to be very slow at removing material?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming hard EVA?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2012 08:10PM

Harder EVA should ream more quickly because the material doesn't move away from the tool as readily.

You might be able to use a Flex Coat reverse drill bit to take it out, provided it's firm enough.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 08:27PM

20-30 minutes reaming!!!!!!!!!!! I would stick teh file in my eyeballs if it took that long. And you're doing a FW rod where the grips are sshort with a smaller ID. Make reamers with the FC reamer abrasive, or buy the reamers without hte grit on them pre-made. IT will take about 20-30 seconds.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.dsl.stl2mo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 08:58PM

ROFL Billy.

Good advice too:)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 11:50PM

Bill,
I use several different sizes of round files chucked into an appropriate sized drill. I run the drill backwards, so that the reamer does not screw itself into the handle, expand the handle and split it open. I generally run the drill at the speed where I can still control it and get a good job of reaming. At times I will be running it wide open at 2500 rpm. It cuts very quickly when running fast.
To ream out a handle like this usually takes me about 2-3 minutes.

Roger

Date: September 04, 2012 11:27PM

Went back to my rat tail files and after beating the bottom of the file back to a somewhat straight piece chucked it up and went at it. Does work better but still hard to hold the grip while reaming. Running backwards the file got hot enough that I would not want to hold it in my hand. Actually I may have worn files since I have used these for several years on cork and EVA. Speed is the key I think but it is hard to do that with the drill in one hand and the grip in the other. Once I got it large enough for the actual reamer (chucked in the drill) it went pretty quickly. Thanks all,

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2012 12:31AM

Bill,
A couple of things to make your jobs easier.
1. Use an abrasive chop saw to chop the handles off of your files.
2. Then, chuck your file into a metal working lathe if you have one or have a friend who has one and spin the file. Then, turn a true end on the file while the file is spinning. Depending on the size drill you have available, turn the end of the file to meet the size requirements of your drill. If you have a wood lathe, but no metal lathe, you can use your wood working lathe, and then use an abrasive cut off wheel in a die grinder or high speed grinder, or even a stone mounted in a drill to turn down the handle of the file as needed. Just keep a caliper handy and use it frequently to get your handle turned evenly and true.

3. Now, when you chuck the file into your drill the drill will run true.
4. Very important: When doing the reaming, be sure to wear a cloth glove on your hand that is holding the grip. A couple of reasons for this. If the handle gets warm, the glove protects your hand.
But, when reaming, it is a good idea to let the grip slip in your hand frequently, so that the grip assumes a new position in your hand with respect to the reamer and drill. By doing this, it very much helps to keep the hole centered in the grip.

I have tried doing this reaming with a horizontal motor or lathe that is stationary on the bench and then pushed the grip onto the spinning file. But I never found this method to be very satisfactory.
I just find it much easier to sit down, hold the drill in one hand and the grip in the other hand - held over my lap and use the trigger variable speed on the drill to feather and adjust the speed as necessary for a great reaming job. I only spin the drill as fast as is needed for the particular reaming going on.

Good luck
Roger

Date: September 05, 2012 11:49PM

Roger thanks. I think I am feeling the need for some new tools! I do have a chop saw but I will need a new blade to cut the files. From working with a couple I do not think the bottom of the files are hardened so cutting them should be easy. I do not have a lathe but the drill is 1/2 inch chuck so I would not need to remove a lot of metal. I will adopt your method of reaming as I prefer the drill and hand grip method too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster