I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

extending a rod
Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2012 11:29AM

hello all, I haven't been here in a while, poped in every once in a while to see whats up.

Im trying to extend my fishing rod, i've done it before, but just need the expert opinion from this forum.
I have a 7' fresh water blank that i want to extend to 8 or 9ft. going to use it primarily for pier popping a plug. i've used mudholes handle kit before and it worked fine, but now i guess its not available, or i'm trying to be a little frugal.
i don't want the high dollar aluminum. i was going to use an older blank bottom piece with a slightly larger diameter and epoxy it. i know to have to have at least 4-6inches for a good hold, how should i go about it the right way, or the cheap way using my spare parts. i thought of making a removable grip/handle but prefer one piece.
yeah yeah, i know what your thinking, ha ha. either way thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extending a rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 04:37PM

you need another rod -- right --- build it from a new blank have two every one needs more

if you extend that one an oversleve is correct way Buy why rip it all the way down guides and all
new blank would be easier 2 ft is a long extension

then either sell the other or keep it

simple 2 ft get a new blank

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 07:49PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 05:07PM

Ofer,
If you want to do an inexpensive rod extension - find a rod that has a reel seat and grip on it that will work for you. Check the diameter of the rod blank coming out of the handle area. Choose a rod and handle that has a diameter large enough to cover your existing blank, just above the handle.

Then , take your current rod and chop off the handle at the fore grip.

Now, take the new rod, and cut it off at a length - with the splice that would give you the length that you need.

Then, insert the current rod blank into the new handle blank assembly and glue it up. You may have to put some masking tape wraps around the current blank to reduce taper on the current blank and to fill in the space.
But, since you said that you are frugal and want to save money, you can do this job - if there is an appropriate rod laying around, or you can find one at the Salvation army or similar -- for just a couple of $$ worth of glue.

P.S. I have done this on rod builds where the client has broken a rod shortly after delivery. They didn't want to spend the money for all of the handle and cork work, so I would chop off the handle right at the fore grip, remove the butt cap and then insert a new blank, up through the current handle and blank. This gave the client a new lighter action rod, for the price of the blank and wrapping time. i.e. I would reuse the old guides and tip. So the clients bill was essentially the cost of the blank and my time to rewrap the rod.
In the cases, where I have done this, the rods were broken due to accidents happening in the boat .

Be safe
REW

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 28, 2012 06:15PM

Hi Ofer,
Nothing high dollar about aluminium tube. The place where I get it from has a scrap bin and I get my bits from there for free. Even when they've got to cut it off a full length I rarely get charged. If you use it make sure you have a decent overlap, even up to the end of the foregrip. A winding check will cover the end of the tube up. Similar thing if your using a piece of old blank that is the right size.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 10:00AM

hey everyone ,
thanks for all the input.

I eventually will use a new blank Bill, i should have clarified myself a bit more. seeing as how i missed the last rod convention, (i waited a whole year and the last week before convention had to use the funds on something else..ugh), i wanted to have hands on feel of blanks available. so before i start a build i want to make a rod with my scraps. the first i made is good and will sell at the pier, just wanted another quickie as a back up. and roger, thats exactly how i made the first one i have :). and for my Australian friend, a 2 ft aluminum will throw the rod balance too way off for me, or on a skinny blank that i'm using. thicker rod yes. thank you all for your input, i definatly got the answers i hoped to get. tight lines to all. and hope to make it to the next convention to finally meet all of you..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster