I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglass fiberglass blanks dicontinued....now what?
Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 26, 2012 12:53PM

I am a steelheader, over the years I have been moving more and more towards pulling plugs. In head to head testing a moderate action rod beat out the moderate fast action rods every time. The absolute best of this type of rod is a moderate action fiberglass rod. Well once I finally came to this conclusion via hard field testing I was ready to build up some rods. Now lamiglass has discontinued the Certified Pro FIberglass Salmon and Steelhead blanks!

I just cannot find any of thier lighter power blanks anywhere.

I looked at other brands (Seeker) and the prices are right on the blanks but the butt diameters are just so crazy, I need a reasonable sized reel seat and the smaller diameter lami's were better in this regaurd.

I am not sure what to do...I know the perfect blank I need but its just not around anymore!

Lamiglass what were you thinking?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglass fiberglass blanks dicontinued....now what?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2012 01:00PM

If they've discontinued them, then most likely they were thinking that the sales volume of those blanks wasn't enough to justify keeping them in their line any longer.

I don't know how many of these you build in a year's time and if it's not very many then what I'm about to suggest isn't going to do you any good, however, Lamiglas will always have the mandrels and patterns so assuming you could order enough of a given model at one time, they might be happy to build some on a special order basis.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2012 02:33PM

There are a couple in close out of the following:
BMB 96 5M
BXCF 108 2H
BSH 126 5F

If one of these fit your needs, you may be able to buy one through your Lamiglas dealer. Or, you may be able to buy directly from Lamiglas.

Otherwise, the minimum special order is 10 or 12.

Don Becker

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 04:06PM

The Salmon/steelhead composite rods/blanks are so popular that the fiberglass models weren't selling as well as before. The glass 801 blank was very specific I thought, great as a plug rod, but in my opinion a poor casting blank that wasn't good for much else. The 803 (MB 96 1E), the 806 (MB 96 3M) and others that were kept are now the Classic Glass USA rods/blanks now I believe, and still listed as before in the fiberglass boat and livebait area of the catalog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 04:32PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: August 26, 2012 04:31PM

Thanks for the replies.

I might order a seeker blank and see for myself if it would work for me, its really hard to tell on paper. Perhaps that might put my fears of reel seat problems to rest. If I order a shorter blank the butt size wont be as big a deal as the 10' I was looking at. (I like longer rods).

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.237.---)
Date: August 26, 2012 07:02PM

You might try the Batson IST1024F. This is an RX7 8'6". I built one last winter and just got off a week on the North Santiam and Deschutes. It really does a good job with plugs, tadpollys and miniwarts. I built it as a spinning rod. It impressed my brother-in-law so much that I am building two this winter. One for him and one for me as casting rods this winter.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 09:00PM

Seeker has what we call a small butt Ulua that's 10', if that will help you.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: August 27, 2012 04:27PM

And the new S glass/graphite super seeker 9 ft salmon blank that's a dandy. Forgot to mention the Seeker Bee Ess 756 should be a decent plug rod. Anglers Workshop has used Seeker glass blanks for salmon/steelhead rods and used to list different models of them in their catalog as such.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 04:41PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2012 04:33PM

Jason,
not to worry......... We have been testing new MHX S-Glass designs for the past year and have 5 new Spinning/Crankbait models coming soon. They have Freshwater Fly models in the works and will also do some Steelhead models.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: August 29, 2012 08:50PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered a 9' seeker blank in 8-20lb test flavor, I will try that one out and see how I like it.

S glass blanks do sound sweet thought, just make sure you make a few that are medium power. Not all fisherman fish BC for 30lb steelhead!

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 12:37AM

Hi Todd
Did I read right ?
We might except to see MHX Glass Fly Blank soon ?
Can't sait if it's the case.

Posted by: MHX Rod Blanks (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 02:02PM

Eric,
We are in the process of designing and testing them now. Primarily shorter -6' - 8' lighter powers 3-5 wt.

Tight Lines,
MHX Rod Blanks
Web: [www.fishmhx.com]
Follow us on Facebook [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 02:32PM

When you get around to the steelhead blanks, a 10', 6-15lb, 1/4 to 5/8 oz would be perfect!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster