I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying finish in a basement
Posted by: Mark Fink (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 09:36PM

Any problems with doing this? I am going to use Prokote and my unfinished basement offers a quiet location. I would hazard a guess that the temp down there is in the mid to upper 60's F. I have a dehumidifier running down there as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying finish in a basement
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 09:42PM

It will take longer for the finish to cure at 60, but it works fine. I did it for many years that way, and I would bring the rods upstairs the morning after and get them in a warmer climate to cure.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 10:09PM

Cooler temps will just let it stay wet longer and level better

Just don't LOAD it on - footballs

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 25, 2012 11:21PM

Hi Mark,
I just finished a couple over here in Oz and the temperature in my workshop was under 10 degrees C and they set up fine, just a bit longer.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 08:31AM

every rod I have ever built was finished in the basement. No issues, sometimes I put a small space heater in there in the winter (I live in MN) but that is all, no issue here.

Eric

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 08:47AM

"Unfinished basement" = dust. The finish will set up fine - my workshop is in my basement & I have no trouble with the epoxy curing out. What I did is seal the concrete floor & close in the ceiling (heavy plastic stapled to the joists will do). All this before I decided to divide the room; insulate the outside walls; hang drywall and put in a ceiling.

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 08:56AM

Awesome, thanks fellas!

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2012 01:04PM

Pro Kote really works best at temps above 70. If you leave the rod in the cooler temp, it is going to take much longer to cure out and harden. I would not even store the Pro Kote in the cooler area. If you do decide to apply the finish in the basement area, I would at least bring it to a warmer area for the curing process. You will find the results to be best when working in a warmer area.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 27, 2012 01:19PM

Bob McKamey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pro Kote really works best at temps above 70. If
> you leave the rod in the cooler temp, it is going
> to take much longer to cure out and harden. I
> would not even store the Pro Kote in the cooler
> area. If you do decide to apply the finish in the
> basement area, I would at least bring it to a
> warmer area for the curing process. You will find
> the results to be best when working in a warmer
> area.

Thanks Bob for the info!
I did plan to store the finish in a upstairs (warm) location and to mix it up in that same location as well. I was thinking that I could apply the finish and let it set up in the basement for a day and then transfer it upstairs to a warmer area to complete the process. I like the basement location due to it being quiet and no other people activities down there. I suppose I could turn on a electric heater to warm the immediate area up some too. It would be really easy to hang some visqueen walls to enclose a work area and warm it up.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 27, 2012 08:00PM

I do everything in the garage, so I have a ceiling mounted electric radiant heater above the workbench. It heats the work surfaces of that area without trying to heat the whole garage. Works great, even for finishing when it's cold outside (what we call cold in central California).

Greg Foy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 08:19AM

Mix up some finish and try it on a piece of scrap and see how it dries

This way you will be sure of what happens

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster