I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TM1
Posted by: John Candelmo (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 12:54PM

Hi all,
I Just tryed Tm 1 For the first time. It has been 24 hours since the 4th coat and it has a milky could The thread is black not blue as it looks in the picture. will this cloud go away when it is fully cured?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

www.reservoirdawgscustoms.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TM1
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 02:27PM

I haven't seen this in any of the applications I have done on black. Please explain in detail the process that you used to apply it and what kind of thread? Color preserver, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: August 25, 2012 03:34PM

Kevin,
Thank you for your reply.

The thread is Pro Wrap Black size A. No color presever.
The first coat was just enough to wet out the treads followed by 3 more light coats aproxamitlly 2 1/2 to 3 hours between coats till I got the build up that you see in the photo.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 04:45PM

if the thread is not NCP thread it should have had CP coated first
Check the instructions here [roddancer.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 25, 2012 05:04PM

That wouldn't necessarily be the case with black. There should not be any issue, and I have not seen any cloudiness before. I don't think it will clear up either, I am sorry to say.

Kevin Knox
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 05:07PM

I have noticed some cloudiness when there is alot of moisture (rain, etc) but it does go away when it completely dried.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2012 05:35PM

I wouldn't worry too much, yet. That's a lot of finish in a short time. Keep it in a warm place for a couple or three days and see what happens.

Date: August 25, 2012 07:26PM

Thank you everyone for the replys,
It has already started to get much clearer and if it don't clear up I guess I will just cut the wrap off and try again. It is only the one guide wrap. I didn't want to do the whole rod on the first time with a new product.

Thanks again for the help!!

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 25, 2012 09:14PM

I had the same thing happen to me the first time I tried it on a guide replacement with black wraps. It had a cloudiness to it. I did a thin coat first. Then I did the build up coats. I put the drops of finish right on the wrap and used the brush to even it out. I left it on for one day then cut it off to use regular finish.

I gave it another shot on another guide replacement repair. This had maroon wraps and no cp. I did the exact same thing, and no cloudiness this time around.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 10:06PM

ya right no CP needed on black thread

Let it sit 72 hrs is full cure time leave it alone

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 25, 2012 11:00PM

One nice benefit that I saw with TM1 is that when I applied it to thread without CP, the color didnt change, yet had complete penetration. Nice benefit.

Kevin Knox
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster