I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FYI: Metallic Thread Tests
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 06:35PM

Several weeks ago there was a thread regarding the fading of metallic threads when exposed to large amount of sun. Since I like to use metallic threads for trim, I was concerned. Since we are in the heat of summer here in Eastern Oregon, I decided to try some tests on metallic threads. I had an old piece of a black fiberglass blank which I used for the test. I made quarter inch wide wraps using Sulky red and green metallics, a FishHawk gold metallic, a ThreadArt copper metallic, Sulky Holoshimmer opal pearl and greenish pearl, and Gudebrod metallic electric blue. I coated each wrap with one coat of Cason's Solvent based CP and one coat of lumiseal. I let the CP dry over night and did the same for the lumiseal. I stuck the rod blank in a hole in a railroad tie In the middle of our property which allows the sun to hit the wraps from sunrise to sunset. Each day I reversed the end of the piece of blank to equalize the angle of the sun striking the wraps. During the four and a half weeks the blank was left out the high temperature varied from 89 (one day) to triple digits. During the last two weeks the high temps ranged from 95 to 98.

I brought in the blank to day and make the following observations:
The gold faded to silver and is beginning to show some signs of white.
The copper has turned bright gold at this point.
The Sulky Holoshimmer remains unchanged.
The Sulky red and the Sulky green remain essentially unchanged, but there is a bit of fading beginning on the edges of the red.
The Gudebrod electric blue also remains essentially unchanged, but I do see a bit of loss of blue and a slightly more teal color.

Anyway, these are the results from these tests. Based on these results I would refrain from using the metallic gold and metallic copper thread where a rod will spend long hours in the sun. Anyone else who has tried this, I would be interested in hearing your results.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FYI: Metallic Thread Tests
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.72.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 23, 2012 07:53PM

Thanks for that Michael, i wonder if the sewing thread metallics have an added extra something to prevent them from fading compared to rod building thread as they seem to have come out top from your tests. maybe its the silicone? I use a lot of madeira metallics in my weaves and trim wraps, be interested to know how their silver and gold especially react to sunlight compared to rod rod building metallics, probably just as good as the sulky threads judging by your results, i'll have to run some tests too.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 08:04PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 09:26PM

IT might be a brand thing that caused them to fade. Good test, if I were you I'd try different brans of copper and gold and see if you can get them to not change colors.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2012 09:39PM

I have built a few rods using pro wrap mattallic in gold, silver, red, and forest green, I have been fishing with them 5 days a week minimum since may and have had no fading without the use of cp

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 24, 2012 01:31AM

Steve Mcleod,
Where do you get the sunshine from that will fade your threadwork? Just joking, must be something in the Aussie DNA, "Never let a chance go by" to have a crack at a Pom and they do likewise.
On another note, any chance of you getting to the Expo as I would be very pleased to meet you.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.80.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 24, 2012 05:55AM

Ha ha, nice one Col, your metallics must fade after a days fishing then in oz!? thank you it would be nice to meet you too and others at the Expo, but i'm afraid i won't be able to go. i hope you have a great time there though, cheers....steve.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 24, 2012 07:24AM

Steve,
I'm sorry you can't get there, maybe another year as I haven't even been to one yet and already I don't think one is enough. Would seriously like to catch up one day.
Back to the post, I've got a lot of Marlin Bros metallics which I use a lot and don't at this time show any signs of fading. I'm also going to get some madeira metallics and have one spool of mettler metallic and Some Pac Bay metallics,I can do some tests on them also. Michael can you send me an email with your proceedure so the tests will be reasonably comparable and there is copper and several golds in the Marlin Bros thread. Will also add the Glissen Gloss and Madeira holographic thread so we can see what ultra violet does to that also.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 07:33AM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2012 03:06PM

I live in the Mojave Desert. If I tried that test I'd probably have a pile of ash. lol... Good test. While in Oklahome bass fishing with my Brother-in-law ( He spends a ton of time on the water fishing tournaments. pre- fishing etc...) I noticed that I could pick out all his favorite rods.. They were the ones with the faded wraps. lol.. You got me thinking though and I think I should maybe try that test. We have another month to month and a half of blistering heat and sun. Good idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster