I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Government Regs on resin impregnated graphite?
Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.pacbell.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 09:36PM

Hey Guys/Gals, This is a little off topic but, I'm curious and figured somebody here may be able to provide some answers. I was poking around on the internet just checking out US mfgs of rod blanks and came across a quick little statement that mentioned that resin impregnated graphite was subject to ITAR (International Traffic in Arms regulations) compliance. I was wondering if perhaps this had any bearing on why so many rod blanks are manufactured off shore. I was thinking cost would be the major issue but now I'm wondering if government regulations and compliance issues could be part of the problem. Perhaps there is a individual or blank mfg. on this site that could shed some light on this. Thanks.

George

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Government Regs on resin impregnated graphite?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2012 09:41PM

It's not the reason that most blanks and rods are made offshore these days.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 12:11AM

Most of the regs regarding carbon fiber have to do with export, not import. Additionally, Japan is one of the largest manufacturers of carbon fiber materials.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 09:08AM

What constitutes this "compliance?" I would be interested to lean if or how rod blanks fall under the category of "arms."

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 09:26AM

Its not the rod blanks that are subject to ITAR compliance. It's the technology used to build some of the high tech carbon fiber materials that is subject to ITAR regulations. (used in vechiles, rockets, weapons, etc.)

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 10:03AM

OSHA has regulations to establish permissible exposure limits. These regulations are directed to protect employee health and safety.

Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 02:18PM

Thanks guys. From the answers I guessing that there is little to no impact on blank manufactures.

Posted by: Jonathan Travers (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 10:44PM

Not how you would necessarily think, my understanding is that due to its use in so many other aspects of industry, military etc. Is that all the good graphite goes to governments, extremely high dollar state of the art technologies space age stuff etc. and blank manufactures are the last on the list to receive the "good stuff" if they even receive any of it at all, due to it's limited availability and I'm pretty sure all the good graphite comes mostly from one place. The vast majority of regular rods come from the exact same factories.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 25, 2012 10:15AM

I intend on trying it and will let you know. The problem that I see MIGHT be the quick set up time For me, the critical thing is to let the finish start to set and TM 1 starts to set within minutes. Being water based, I don't know how most pigments will work although Pearl X powders should work fine. Also, they are pretty adamant about NOT using any heat. (I like to use a little to diffuse the pigments into "cloud" like patterns

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster