I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How often warranty issues?
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 10:45PM

Capt Neil Faulkner had an interested topic concerning building on a blank that the warranty clock has been ticking on for a while. Steve Gardner had a good reply, why not build the rod and sell it as usual and warranty it if necessary. Personally I have only broke two rods, one was a factory rod that broke the first time out and was handled by the retailer for free, and one was my build and my fault and I bought a new tip section for a very reasonable amount. I bet most repairs can be done for the $50 Sage charges for repairs under their unlimited warranty. If your warranty covers materials and workmanship, I think most broken rods are caused by tailgates and boots and would be a repair job not a warranty.

The question is, what percentage of rods do you anticipate will come back for warranty issues?

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How often warranty issues?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 08:10AM

Very few come back as a warranty due to material failures. However, the word warranty seems to create a vision of "my dog ate it" replacement with purchasers. One has to be VERY careful as to how a relationship starts/ends in respect to a warranty, per se. You can perform a search on this site and see that this topic is, and has been, the Achilles heel of rod builders since the inception of the trade.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2012 10:22AM

Perhaps even more so for custom builders, it is important to have a written warranty statement spelling out what your warranty does and doesn't cover. It also helps to have a pamphlet of some sort explaining the proper care and use of a quality fishing rod. Spend 10 minutes going over it with each customer when they pick up their rod. It can save you both a headache down the road.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 11:44AM

Best ones I"ve seen are from SWAMPLAND . I'm pretty sure they've been shared here in the past

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 01:11PM

I would think that as re-sellers the warranty would start at the time we sell the rod. I sometimes buiild rods and stick them on the shelf at the tackle shop where they may sit for some time before being sold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster