I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A new day brings new knowledge
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 01:20PM

Hi,

Every day is a new learning curve of knowledge. I have been doing this for quite a few years so I guess I should have known the answer before I had to ask. Along with many components I stock blanks to have on hand for my customers. I am now rethinking that policy and will make adjustments.

I took a blank out of stock today, removed it from the sleeve and started to inspect the blank by flexing it. Of course I have done this many times. All of a sudden it felt like a soft area and the blank crumbled at that point. Okay, It happens and I would rather it happen in my hands instead of a customers.

Here is what I learned. The blank carries a limited warranty. Today is past the time of the limited warrantee as the limited warranty starts the day I purchase the blank. Oh, oh! Fortunately I called the company first and did not ship the blank back with the included check. A lesson learned.

So now I have an order full of blanks that have not been used but now have no warranty! Too bad as they are very nice blanks. Now I understand the companies "Limited Warranty" policy and I will not make that mistake again. Live and learn. Yes I do take a quick look at blanks when they arrive.

Maybe when I have time I will build on the blanks and sell them cheap with no warranty or probably I will build on the blanks if they pass my inspection and just give them away. They do fight fish nicely.

The purpose of this thread is to help others in this matter and we will all ask the companies "WHEN DOES THE WARRANTY START".

I have posted this in hopes of helping some one else not to make the same mistake I made.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A new day brings new knowledge
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: August 20, 2012 03:16PM

Curious. You say you had flexed that blank many times before.....right? If so, why do you think it failed now and not before? Did you notice something you didn't before? Do you feel the blank got weaker from age???

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 20, 2012 03:39PM

Hi Russ,

To clarify, I have flexed many blanks many times over the years. This particular new blank broke the second time I flexed It. As I was flexing it I felt a sudden softness just before it came apart. My feeling is that this blank would have broken if I did the same flex the day the blank arrived.

I am out a blank but that is not an issue. My issue is to hopefully preventing some one from having the same warranty issue. Buyer beware! Ask the companies for exact info about there warranties. WHEN DOES THE TIME CLOCK START!

Date: August 20, 2012 03:40PM

Finger check, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 03:41PM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 04:20PM

Most blank companies I deal with are not that rigid with their warantees. Neil, if I buy the blank from you that means my warantee begins the day I cough tthe blank right?

Date: August 20, 2012 04:48PM

Hi Billy,

It all depends upon the manufacturer. This company started the clock the day they sold me the blanks. If I sold you these blanks in question I would have to tell you that the limited warranty has expired.

This happening has woken me up. Before I purchase new blanks they will be life time warranties OR I will have spoken with the company and I totally understand their warranty, and can live with it.

I have purchased blanks before purposely with no warranties. I warrantied the blanks myself. I assumed the risk and it worked to my advantage.

Sometimes a company discontinues a blank model that I really like so I will purchase some of what is left in the companies inventory. These blanks could have been produced several years in the past. However the companies lifetime warranty still applies. They usually replace a broken discontinued blank with the newer comparable blank.

Billy, I am guilty as I assumed something that I did not check out first. Very interesting business we are in. Woke me up, ha, ha!

I hope all is well in your neighborhood.

Your friend,
Neil

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 05:33PM

Is the brand name info you feel uncomfortable sharing in an open forum? Sounds like a mistake the rest of us could easily make.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2012 06:06PM

Capt.
If you have sold rods in the past and warrantied them. You could do the same with these. At least that way you could sell them for full price and if one comes back, still have more profit then if you sold them cheaply.

Date: August 20, 2012 09:17PM

Hi Russ,

The problem is ME! I did not do my home work and research the warranty. I have absolutely NO problem with the company. I will continue to do business with them as they are a credit to the industry.

I ordered the blanks for an idea I had. The idea did not pan out. Time goes by fast and I am now building on the blanks. They are great blanks for my needs and I will order them again, as needed.

Hi Steve,

Your comment is well taken. Being busy all day I did not continue thinking about my issue.

Neil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster