I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any Kiwis Here
Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 18, 2012 04:55AM

Just wondering if there are any Kiwis on this site.Heading over on thurs for 6 days and would like to know of any shops in the
Auckland area or in an hour or twos drive that sell rod building gear.Would love to check out some of the CTS blanks.Distance
is not that much of a problem as we are just going to eat and drink our way around the place.Just have to tell the better half that
there is a shoe shop nearby.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any Kiwis Here
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 18, 2012 08:45AM

Hi Ray,
I just got a CTS blank, an EM701, to build a stick bait and popper throwing light weight like you build. Nice blank, light and crisp but they're expensive. Cost NZ$233 or Au$180 including NZ$53 to get it across the ditch so you have an idea of costs. Won't get it built for a while as the workshop is in rebuid mode but I will bring it along to the SEArbs meet and you can have a look, Barry also wants to have a look.
Have a good trip and get on a charter boat and nail one of their large Yellowtail Kingfish!!, they pull pretty hard and head straight for the bottom.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: August 19, 2012 06:35AM

Hi Col

No fishing going on this time just visiting partners family.Hoping to checkout some of the gear over there especially the CTS blanks.
If i can find some one selling them. Next time i am over would like to grab a few and if the SEArbs are interested can get some for
them. Better to get a few than just one.Guess we could fly a few of the kiwi boys over for one of our meets as long as they dont want
to talk about underarm bowling and how they beat us at rugby union.Will have to spread the word of this website over there.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 19, 2012 08:22AM

Hi Ray,
Go to the CTS website, www.ctsfishing.com and have a look where their dealers are. The Wallabies are not much hope even with pinching one of their best coaches!! Cricket is a different matter,we've got them covered there, but the "underarm" incident will probably never go away.
Might be interesting to see what the cost is for bulk orders, we might get a wholesale price, I can do it with guides on orders over $400 so have a think what you need and we can have a discussion at the SEArbs meet.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: August 19, 2012 06:50PM

G'Day Col & Ray I certainly would be interested in getting some CTS blanks for the righr price .Ray have a great time over their even if the place is full of Kiwis .You will have turn a deaf ear when Rugby or Cricket comes up. See you both on the 8th

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Mark Fisher (101.103.15.---)
Date: August 19, 2012 07:59PM

Fellas, personal opinion only, don't waste your money! I've used and buit quite a few CTS blanks. They are exceptionally good quality blanks but why pay more for something that is single helix ( and aybe has a colour) when you can get double helix here in Australia for a better price. I'm referring to GCCR Tackle with their United Composite USA blanks. Great blanks at a decent price and wayyyyyyyy stronger than a CTS. As I said, just my honest personal opinion. Contact Peter and I'm sure he will give you a way better deal.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.172.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: August 19, 2012 11:33PM

Hey Ray,

I spent two years flying over every 2nd week for work I wasnt into rod building at the time so never bothered looking. Im interested in these blanks as well. When are you leaving.

The only thing i miss about NZ is mussells, speights and snow. Ahh Queenstown how I miss it.

Cheers
Mark

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 20, 2012 01:38AM

Hi Mark,
What's the website offering the United Composite blanks. I'll agree about the cost of the CTS blanks, very nice blanks but over priced in my opinion and the shipping charges are over the top also.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: August 20, 2012 02:15AM

G'Day Mark Thanks for the info I completely forgot about Gold Coast Tackle

Regards Baz

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 20, 2012 03:44AM

Hi Barry,
Some SEArbs info, rang Steve Acland this afternoon and found out he is bedridden after spending a couple of days in hospital with a very bad infection. Hope he will be ok for the 8th. Catch you then.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: August 20, 2012 06:41AM

Hi there Guys

Barry place is full of kiwis but i like them my girlfriend is one so we get looked after pretty well.But they cant let go of the underarm thing.
I think there just dirty because they never thought of it first.

Mark Fisher firstly hello from me great admirer of your work and what you put in fishing world hope to catch up with you as there is a rumour
you will be in Nowra some time soon.Let me know when and if we can meet up with the Searbs we can do it at my place you could stay if you
need a bed.Have seen a united composite blank and was vey impressed but had a huge price tag.I know there cheaper but they sound good
and had a good wrap from a professional builder i know.I have 6 st croixs still to go so will so will be looking at them in the future.

Mark Newcombe be good to meet up with you as your doing the hard yards to get down and we are in the same boat or kayak so to speak.
I am heading over on thursday for 6 days.Not into mussels but love a speights or two.Its all good good and sweet as.

ColI see your going over to the US for the tackle show should be a blast.Pity we havent got a Searbs shirt for Billy but some thing we can work
on got a mate who is a screen printer and will do some shirts for us just need to get a design.Might get you to get a shirt off Billy for me and we
can send one over for him he will have to put a photo up wearing it.When are you going

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.160.---)
Date: August 20, 2012 08:22AM

Hi Ray,
I'll get over there on the 21st, maybe night time, have a day to recover and them get to meet some of the great gents I've run into on the forum. Been wanting to get to an Expo for a bit but I thought it would cost more for airfares but their not too bad. I'm sur I'll have a good time and get a few components, checked with customs to find out what I can bring back, a good $900 dollars worth. Have to check with the airline to see what I can bring back in the way of blanks, so if your after something special I might be able to get it. Will stay there for a week and have a look about then go to High Point for the next week and hopefully spend a bit of time with Tom if he's not too busy and look around the Rodmaker office and workshop then the High Point area before heading back. I can get NERB shirts for everyone that wants one and that's a good idea to get something made up for us. We can work something out at the next meet. Barry is into a bit of graphics so he might have something. Better do something that is original and stands out, we might need a graphics artist!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: August 20, 2012 06:09PM

Hi Col by the 21st i take it that you mean today.Have a great time and say hello from all the Searbs.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Fisher (101.103.15.---)
Date: August 20, 2012 11:26PM

Thanks guys. Hopefully, if the stars align I'll be in Nowra about the 9/11/12 for a week. I've got a Mountain Bike race on the Sunday but by Monday or Tuesday 12 or 13/11 I should be right for a meeting with you. I'm sorry it can't be a weekend visit because of the race and towards the end of that week I have to head home. Looking forward to meeting up with a few of you. Contact details for Peter Williams are [www.gccr.com.au] or ph 0407378715. By the way, Peter will more than likely be at the High Point Show as he usually has a stand there. Col you could chase him up and say hello from me. Be prepared for a chat!

Regards
Mark

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.160.---)
Date: August 21, 2012 01:34AM

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the info. Great that you can give us a date when you've over hear and we will arrange something that suits you. Let me know which is the best day and we will take it from there. I'll have a look at that website tonight and see what they've got. Be more than glad to say hello for you if I run into him over there. Looks like I'm going to have a lot to do in a few days over there but it will be worth it.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster