I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement
Posted by: Mike Hali (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 01, 2012 07:37PM

I have a Rclb80l that I chopped off 6". My issue is figuring out how to place the guide. I know the answer is Static test but cant find any videos how to do this. Also, and videos of how to do spiral wraps?

Sorry, but this is my first build and would like it to at least turn out decent!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2012 08:30PM

use the search function above and you should find All the info you need

[rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 08:39PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2012 07:54AM

One neat little trick I picked up off of here for static testing is to use elastic thread, you can find it at your local sewing shop or wally world if you must. just use 3-4 wraps around the guide foot finished off with a regular old square knot and you'll be able to slide the guides where ever you need them, it also holds good enough to start tying them on, once you get to the elastic just touch it with a razor and it will fly right off. No messing with tape, no sticky residue, and much less headache! Good luck with your first build, but beware, you will be addicted after this!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2012 10:31AM

Mike,
Generally speaking when I start to figure out how to place a guide on a blank that I have not used before or one that has been modified is the following.
1. I take a roll of 1/4 inch wide masking tape and cut a bunch of short strips to use as temporary markers.
2. I take the blank and start with bracing the tip on the carpeted floor. I begin to flex the blank by putting pressure on the tip, much as if you are starting to fight a fish.
3. I take note of where the blank first starts to flex and put the first piece of masking tape at that point. Normally this point will be a foot or so from the tip of the rod.
4. Then, I continue to flex the blank and from the amount of tip and blank deflection decide if I need one or two more guides between the first one marked on the blank or two. Then mark the blank accordingly.
5. Then, relieve the pressure off of the tip and begin to flex the blank further down the blank by putting pressure on the blank from the carpeted floor down about a foot or two from the tip. Then, continue to mark the blank in the normally expected increasing spacing from the tip to the butt of the rod.

Generally, 2 or 3 minutes will give you some pretty good marks for defining the overall taper of the rod and the necessary positions to wrap guides.

Then, take a set of guides, tape them in the marked location, put a reel on the rod, and string the line off the reel through the guides and the temporary tip on the blank. Use an appropriate amount of weight on the end of the line and see if you have the line flow and blank deflections as you would expect on a well built rod.

Normally, all of this can be done on a new blank in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Roger

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 02, 2012 01:28PM

I do it like Roger suggests. Exactly.

Let the flex tell you where the guides go.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 02, 2012 04:06PM

easy way is to put the guides on with some kind of rubber bands Use a spacing chart for the size of rod
Static test and adjust

for a spiral wrap put the guides on in spinning fashion turn the but guide up
then run a line Let the line tell you where the guides go Adjust to fit

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster