I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread options
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2012 07:08AM

Hi Gents,
Had to make a trip to the local sewing and craft shop to get some more elastic for guides. After a suggestion from Mark Fisher I also got some mettler emroidery thread. Did a test wrap before using it. Found a couple of things. The sticker at the end of the spool has a very sticky glue which played havoc with my thread tensioner. If you use it make sure you clean the end of the spool before putting in your tensioner . The breaking strain of the stuff is not all that flash, especially the multi metallics. Set it up with the same tension as I use for madeira and bound about 10mm and it then broke unexpectedly. Backed off the tension and tried again and it broke a number of times. Ended up using nearly half the tension I use for madeira before it stopped breaking. Did an overwrap with the polysheen and it was ok using the same tension . After finishing I did five tests on each spool to find out the breaking strain. The metallic averaged 0.42kg but was very variable when using it. The polysheen averaged 0.62kg which was better than the metallic. Madeira averages at around 1.2kg which is a lot stronger. I was going to use it on the first or second overbind on a 30lb game rod but not after the test wrap and testing. Would be good for trim and highlights. The colours on the spool looked very neat but when bound on a blank which was a different diameter it looks totally different. Mark Fisher, if you see this can you comment on whether you use it for guide wraps.
I also found some madeira holographic thread which has different shades to the glissen gloss thread.
Some links below.

[www.rodbuilding.org].
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

After a comment on the photo page by the thread maestro, Billy V, should let those who don't go there know also. The madeira holographic thread has silicon on it, so it's not suitable for those that don't use cp. Doing some more testing with cp and finish and will post another pic when finished.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 08:25AM by Col Chaseling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread options
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 10:33AM

Why we are on the subject of thread, has anybody had any experience with Metro thread. That stuff is a fraction of the cost of Madaira and appears to be the same.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2012 04:04PM

Hi Branndon,
Mark Fisher usings it a fair bit, only for guide wraps on light rods. Definitely not the same as madeira, it's only about half as strong and I'll only be using it for underwraps or trim and highlights.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Fisher (101.103.191.---)
Date: July 31, 2012 01:00AM

You can use most of the decent brands of polyester threads but always remember that Polyester is not a purpose built rod building thread. I use it on most of my underwraps and sometimes on guide wraps on ultra light spinning rods. I wrap by hand and do not use a thread tensioner so I think you can get more control of polyester thread this way and it doesn't break. I have used heaps of pressure on the Mettler Polysheen with no problems at all. I also agree with the use of CP on these threads but there are exceptions. I have done some really nice tartans using polyester thread without CP. I don't know if I've just been lucky but I found for these wraps apply a very thin "dry coat" of epoxy that just soaks in. Then after drying apply the second/third coats as necessary. If you go too heavy with the first coat you can end up with fisheye problems. I reckon polyesters are great! Their sheen and range of colours are just another tool we can use. You just can't beat them for crosswrapping.

Hey Col get in and give them a try. You will not be disappointed. It's just another learning curve on how to handle them.

Posted by: Eric Warren (149.135.146.---)
Date: July 31, 2012 01:18AM

Hi Col it's a little off subject but I read in one of your other posts you were recommending Marlin Brothers pearl metallic . A couple of years ago I got hold of 40 50yrd spools of their metallics in various colors off @#$%& . I find it great to work with it stays together when a little more tension is needed unlike a lot of the major brands which fray with extra tension . I don't know what size it is and I've used most it now but I'm wondering if you know where I can get a hold of some? I've done a bit of searching on the net and it looks like they are no longer trading , is this the case ?. Im on the best coast , The West Coast

Cheers Mate
Regards. Eric

Date: July 31, 2012 01:20AM

Hi Col it's a little off subject but I read in one of your other posts you were recommending Marlin Brothers pearl metallic . A couple of years ago I got hold of 40 50yrd spools of their metallics in various colors off @#$%& . I find it great to work with it stays together when a little more tension is needed unlike a lot of the major brands which fray with extra tension . I don't know what size it is and I've used most it now but I'm wondering if you know where I can get a hold of some? I've done a bit of searching on the net and it looks like they are no longer trading , is this the case ?. Im on the best coast , The West Coast

Cheers Mate
Regards. Eric

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 31, 2012 02:10AM

Hi Eric,
I've got plenty of that stuff and it's mostly good and it's usually "a" thread, haven't seen any other sizes.. Some of the colours don't completely overlap and the under thread shows but it still looks good. I've got the store I got it from saved and the last time I looked he did'nt have any. I'll keep an eye on it and make a post or email you. It was on that unmentionable @#$%& site. I've used a fair bit of the pearl colour and it is neat.
I sent him a message to see if he's going to get any more and will let you know the result.

Hi Mark,
I'm going to use the multi coloured blue as an underbinding for my 15kg game rod when I get it back from the panel beaters and redo my workshop. I'll post a pic when it's done. One thing I noticed about the muti coloured metallic when I put the first coat of cp on it repelled the stuff in large areas. Second and third coats were ok. I'm going to put some finish on it this afternoon and see how it turns out. The mettler metallic was difficult to use until I got the tension right but it was almost half of what I use on madeira and I've never had any of that break. Used the same tension on the polysheen and it was fine but I'll try it again with more tension as the breaking strain of the polysheen was a lot higher than the metallic. Found a fair bit of Brother thread also on that site and it is a resonable price for what you get, Do you know anyone that sells that and the mettler where you can choose the colours you want? Some of the colours offered in the boxed sets I wouldn't be using although most of them a nice colours.
I'll use some of it but need to do some more testing to see how it turns out with my methods and if I need to make any adjustments.
Different issue, if your ever in the Sydney area for a few days with one to spare, preferrably a weekend let me know if you would be interested in coming to a SEARBS meeting as I think your thread wraps are terrific and I'm sure the others would be very interested to hear how you go about it. The next meet is either the 8th or 9th of September at Barry Chapman's in Bundeena.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 02:22AM by Col Chaseling.

Date: July 31, 2012 09:39AM

Jeez Col you don't muck around thanks alot for that .

Posted by: Mark Fisher (101.103.191.---)
Date: August 05, 2012 12:42AM

Col,

Mate thanks for the kind words on my wraps. With the Mettler thread, I rarely if ever, use the metallic. If I do it is only for minor trims on guide wraps. I have never really had any problems with the Mettler thread "shedding" the finish. (Maybe lucky). I nearly always use Fish Hawk metallics now because they are strong and subtly beautiful, particularly the silk sparkle. Give Ross at The Rodworks a call if you need some any. Can you contact me on fishrod@bigpond.com and I may be able to arrange a visit and catch up with you. I'll be down your way sometime in November?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster