I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fixing bad butt wrap finish
Posted by: Joe Bravate (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2012 09:31PM

Hi,

I recently finished two all roller offshore trolling rods. It was my first serious butt wrap and came out pretty decent for a first try (if I do say :-) ).

When I finished with the first coat of flex coat high build thinned with acetone to flex coat specs I got serious bubbling in the butt wrap section. The guide wraps are perfect.

One rod is much worse than the other.

I tried heat, brushing, prayer but nothing really worked. Now it is cured and not to my standards.

I have heard people talk about stripping and refinishing but I have no idea how to do that without ruining the decorative wrap.

Any ideas?

Thank,
Joe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fixing bad butt wrap finish
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 26, 2012 09:46PM

Try cutting the bad spots off with a razor. Careful not to get into the thread. Then just re coat. I have had good success cutting filing and sanding spots and re coating. I never had good luck with Flex Coat and have switched to TM lite.

Date: July 26, 2012 09:54PM

About my 10th rod and the first time I've had a problem. Thanks for the advice.

Joe.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2012 12:35AM

Joe,
I know that you thinned the finish with acetone per flex coat specs, but if you have not tried it before, mix your finish and apply it with no thinning.

If you need the finish to be a bit thinner after application, just apply a bit of gentle heat.

I never like to mix any solvent or thinner with any finish. You never know how solvent is going to react with the blank, the blank finish, or thread or thread wraps.

-----------
I know that you have spent time with your butt wrap. But if the fix doesn't come quickly with minimum effort and a perfect result, just bite the bullet, clean off the finish and cut off the wraps. Start again.

Be safe
Roger

Date: July 27, 2012 09:24AM

Roger,

Thanks for the advice. I only recently started using the acetone thinned epoxy on the first coat. I liked the results better than what I got when using CP as the first coat.

I like your suggestion though. Since this is only the decorative butt wrap...I can fish the rod this season and then over the winter I can cut off the wrap and redo it.

Thanks,
Joe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster