I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

K Series Guides on Fly Rods
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: July 24, 2012 03:08PM

Good day.

I am thinking about trying some of the new K Series as stripper guides on a 7 weight fly rod and would love to hear from people who have used these guides on fly rods.

Did they look weird? Did they function the same? better?

One other question, would it be OK to switch to the traditional, perpendicular single foot Fuji guides for the running guides, or would that look weird?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K Series Guides on Fly Rods
Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: July 24, 2012 06:06PM

I use the K guides as stripping guides on just about every fly rod I build. They are great, especially the titanium ones. Generally If I'm building one for a friend, I use the stainless guides, and for me, I use titanium guides. Both have an excellent finish.

They do not look weird, and theoretically shed tangles better.

The running guides are your call, I've only built 1 fly rod with the Fuji K running guides and I bent one of the guides last week on the Kenai. Traditional snake guiides are "tougher" if that matters to you.

Drew

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: July 25, 2012 03:36PM

Hi, Drew.

Thanks for the information. I have bent a few running guides in my day. I don't use snake guides, so I would use running guides all the way out.

Do you think the K series would any more or less prone to getting bent in actual use.

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: July 25, 2012 04:35PM

I think the KT running guides actually hold up better than normal single foot guides, but nothing holds up in rough conditions as well as a snake guide. I should add that I bent the guide accidentally whacking a tree branch, not while actually fishing. It was self induced rod trauma, unfortunately. It did bend back into position without issue, and went right back into service. I probably won't even bother to replace it. That same rod had a different brand of single foot guides previously and they bent easily, so I stripped them off and went to the KTs. Glad I did.

That rod probably caught 150 salmon in the last week, pretty fun time. I'm headed back up there next month for Silvers and will use that rod as my primary rod. That's how much I actually liked fishing the rod. The K guides (KW stripping and KT running) make a really nice fly rod.

To answer your question about whether they are better, here is my take---Ceramic guides on a fly rod do not cast better than regular snake guides. However, with a big fish on, they are MUCH better when playing the fish. Because of the decreased friction, the line plays out better when the fish is running and there is an all around "smoothness" that is hard to articulate. The decreased friction makes the drag work better when the fish is taking line. It's quite impressive when you are used to something different.

Based on fishing my rod with the k guides last week, one of my friends asked me to duplicate the same set up of an all K series fly rod on an 8 wt Z-Axis blank that he found, so I'm not the only one who noticed the difference.

Good luck with your build.

Drew

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 26, 2012 04:39AM

Drew!

That was a heck of a field report. Thanks very much. You are having too much fun up there.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster