I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy from tiger wrap always getting on the edges of eva or cork
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2012 04:55PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to keep the epoxy off of the eva or cork when I epoxy the tiger wrap, I always seemed to get some on the eva, and it looks awful, especially after I try to sand it off, discoloration, eva falling apart ect.. I tried to tape but it still gets through. LOL! I end up wanting to epoxy the whole grip! Any suggestions will be helpful, thankyou!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy from tiger wrap always getting on the edges of eva or cork
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.91.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: July 15, 2012 06:18PM

Winding Checks.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 07:48PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2012 07:45PM

Let it get on there. At some point when the epoxy has started to set a bit, and will not easily flow, you can wet a paper towel with dentured alcohol and fold up a corner, then crisply wipe off the epoxy from the cork or grip at a precise point by holding the wetted towel against the grip while you rotate the rod. The result is a nice, even, precise epoxy mini-ramp.

Date: July 15, 2012 08:44PM

Tom, I tried that but it left a soaked spot all away around like the eva soaked up the epoxy and it just looks like a not to well of an epoxy job, if you know what I mean, I am going to sand it and see if it does'nt turn out like the others when I tries to sand thew epoxy off of the eva, I got winding checks on, but the epoxy just flows over the winding checks, especially on the last coat of epoxy.Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, have a good one!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2012 09:24PM

There is a window within which this will work. You need to find that window.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2012 09:32PM

Lorenzo lets take this a little furthur -

Exactly where is your EVA problem area - exactly

On the front surface of a foregrip?

In the split grip area - one end or both?

Ever played pin ball games?

This is another place TILT can cause problems if too much finish is present.

Date: July 15, 2012 10:18PM

Bill how far do want to take it! tis on the Tiger wrap, on a split grip rod, so it will be on the edge of the EVA, near the split grip area, and what does pinball have to do with applying epoxy on a tiger wrap? lol!!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 16, 2012 04:45AM

If your rod isn't level, then you'll get epoxy creep and unevenness no matter what you do. Get it centerline level.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 08:46AM

Like said
Winding checks Two one at each end
Easy on the finish More coats and thin be very carefull near the ends
Thin folded paper towel with alcohole on just after you apply finish And several times
Or
You can try doing the wrap first Then putting the end grip on from the end and build up the blank to fit And the fore just slides on from the tip Ream it so it goes on easier
Try putting it on the lath and CAREFULLY sand the ends with fine paper

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2012 09:03AM

Lorenzo,

How are you sizing your winding checks?

If you choose checks with an ID slightly larger than the blank, you can tuck finish under the checks while you build up the depth of the tiger wrap. If you choose the right size, you should be finishing to about the ID of the check on the final top coat(s).

Joe

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 09:18AM

No one mentioned to be more careful when applying epoxy.

Take your time when applying your epoxy to the area near your grips and in the split area.

Use something to steady your arm and get in a comfortable position. Get closer to your work area if need to. Get your self better or more lighting above the area where applying your finish.

Take your time when applying your epoxy to the area near your grips and in the split area.

Use winding cks if you're not already using them. Apply your epoxy up to the edge of your check and not up on top of it.

Don't load so much on your brush at one time.

Keep anything that shouldn't be near your work area out of your way.

Oh and one other thing...........Take your time when applying your epoxy to the area near your grips and in the split area.

Lance

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 09:23AM

No one mentioned to be more careful when applying epoxy.

I did

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 10:20AM

We will get there!

Thanks for your first answer - still need to think through a little more

Both ends of the split grip area or only one?

If only one

1. Level up

2. Apply iess finish and as Lance said do it carefully.

If both ends -

1. Too much finish applied per coat - winding check if vinyl or rubber and EVA have different surface properties than finish and will attract and retain excess.

2. Finish applied to soon after mixing - read Roger Seiders instruction for applying finish to decal or long thread wraps. Finish will move around on its own when the polymerization process starts early in the cure cycle - wait at least 5 - 7 minutes to apply finish to areas that have different surface characteristics - do guides first - other areas later. Let the finish thicken a little in the pan. I notice you posted on another thread that you were using Threadmaster Lite - you can problably wait a little longer after mixing to apply finish in the split grip area.

3. EVA is not porus - finish that gets on the surface will not soak in - it is on the surface - Wipe off as Tom Kirkman instructed. After it sets on the surface it is very difficult to remove by sanding without messing up the surface -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 11:00AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: July 16, 2012 01:05PM

Thanks all! I WILL BE MORE CAREFUL! I learned a lesson, boy! seems like I learn something new on every rod. Tight wraps all!

Posted by: Garey Elkins (64.19.254.---)
Date: July 17, 2012 01:29PM

For between split grips, you could do the tiger and then ream and install the split grips. You can also do this in front of the reel seat and then install the foregrip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster