I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Thread Fading
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 10, 2012 05:12PM

I had the opportunity to head offshore this weekend for some Red Snapper & Grouper fishing. Along with the usual suspects in offshore rods i brought my 6500 Baitrunner spinner rig to float livies of the back in hopes of a tuna or dolphin. None of that happened but i was happy to use the equipment...anyway on the way back i noticed that the underwrapof one of the guides i had replaced on the spinner less than a year ago was completely faded from metallic blue to silver on one side. Rod has been sitting in the garage somewhat close to a window for no more than 6 months. is this normal? I am getting ready to wrap my next rod with metallic Red as the overwrap but now am concerned about fading.
i am looking for Thoughts on what i may have done wrong and what i may need to do to protect this from happening again?
Thank you for your replies.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Thread Fading
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2012 05:19PM

In many cases it is indeed normal. Metallic thread, by and large, tends to fade to silver or off-white.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.116.186.31.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: July 10, 2012 06:46PM

I once saw a boat rod that i had built with all metallic thread, was about 4 or 5 years old, it was gold and blue, and i remember i used cp on this one and it had faded quite badly. but being i saw it 4 or 5 years later it's hard to say how long it took to fade that badly.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 06:55PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 10, 2012 08:25PM

YOu know what it might be....the epoxy that you used. I have seen plenty of rods that needed a guide rewrapped and after you popped the epoxy off the silverish metallic thread turned out to be a different color completely. Purple metallic will fade to silver, the other colors - might be the epoxy. YOu'll know wonce you cut it off.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 11, 2012 12:43AM

Hi Jim,
Store them in the dark if possible, will prolong the colour but they will fade eventually. Like Billy says diferent epoxies may give a better result.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2012 04:25AM

The use of thinners in the epoxy can also cause premature fading.

Don Becker

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2012 06:50AM

Thanks for the info guys.
Epoxy was Flexcoat High build. Plan on trying Prokote on the new one.
It was odd to me that only one wrap faded, the one i replaced. The factory wraps were ok.(different color of blue=first rod i worked on and didn't care if it matched perfectly)
I think i will not do my overwraps with metallic on the new rod and go with ncp instead. Too much work to have it fade in a year. All my other rods appear to be ok and they are in the same rack as this one was.

js

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster