I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: June 27, 2012 09:56AM

Anyone ever used this model of Rainshadow. Im looking for a fairly inexpensive blank for bank fishing. Any thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 10:06AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2012 10:07AM

You'll need to specify the particular Rainshadow model # from the Baton website.

Date: June 27, 2012 12:22PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You'll need to specify the particular Rainshadow
> model # from the Baton website.
>
> ..............

Sorry I thought I had included in the first post..

TS90M 9'0 8-20 lb line 3/4 - 3oz med / mod/fast

thanks

Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2012 12:53PM

I have only ever used Tough Sticks for boat (trolling) rods, with very positive experience and reports. Have never used them in a casting application, so I can't speak to that.

If you could give more info about species and presentation you're looking for bank fishing, we may have more feedback/recommendations.

Date: June 27, 2012 01:25PM

Stephen Gruber Wrote:
> I have only ever used Tough Sticks for boat
> (trolling) rods, with very positive experience and
> reports. Have never used them in a casting
> application, so I can't speak to that.
>
> If you could give more info about species and
> presentation you're looking for bank fishing, we
> may have more feedback/recommendations.

I build a lot for catfish guys. Typically these guys throw those big slip floats with 20 lb line all from the bank. Nothing really special but they sure like fancy rigs lol. fish typically run from 2 - 6 lbs

Posted by: Ellis P. Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 03:26PM

I have one that I built as a spinning rod which I use as a light surf rod. I fish a little on the surf during the winter months. Most of the time I catch black drum, reds, whiting, and specs. Nothing real big. The reds ususally run 3-5 lbs. I like mine.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 07:42PM

I have never used any of the RainShadow blanks.. Are they considered to be a good brand. Im unfamiliar with them but they look to be in the price / class that im looking to build. i think if they are a known respected brand I would like to give one a shot

thanks

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 07:59PM

Another quick question... these blanks are not ribbed like the old Ugly stick rods are they ???

thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2012 08:09PM

No.

Posted by: Frank Summers (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 27, 2012 09:34PM

Built several Rainshadows, been happy with all of them.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: June 27, 2012 10:53PM

well looks like we have a winner.. I believe ill order one and give it a shot..

thanks

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 11:30PM

Rainshadow is one of the largest makers of blanks. They have a wide offerings at different points. They range from price competitive imports to top of the line domestic ones. Everything I have bought from them has been good value too.

The RCLB line seems to be a favorite of the catfish guys. I have a few of them and think they are wonderful. I suggest you check out the rclb80l. It will be perfect for 20# test. Durable, tough, and surprisingly light in your hand. Entirely capable of horsing in a 20+ pound catfish. Just won't fish a ton of lead.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 28, 2012 07:45AM

Hi,

Have been building on Batson blanks for many years. My customers are very happy with them, sensitive, light weight, nice actions, durable and dependable. I use their Forecast and Rainshadow series. (MB, SWB, SWS, SB, RCLB to name a few types). You won't be disappointed!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: June 28, 2012 12:26PM

My only complaint I have is that they are listed as Mod Fast. from my experience that is typicalyl a little slow for what I like but I guess it varies from blank to blank. I guess its worth a shot

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2012 11:08AM

Casey Abell Wrote:
> Anyone ever used this model of Rainshadow. Im
> looking for a fairly inexpensive blank for bank
> fishing. Any thoughts.

In my opinion Rainshadow are excellant blanks. I believe their RX8-XSB 822.5 is the best drop shot blank out there!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 30, 2012 11:10AM

Hi Don,

I use the SB822.5 blank for shallow water bucktailing fluke. Fantastic blank. One of my customers is catching 30plus lb striped bass with it and having a BLAST!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster