I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flat Map - where is Number One?
Posted by: Fred Tooley (12.185.249.---)
Date: June 26, 2012 04:12PM

Hello, new member here.

I recently read an online article about Heddon rods (I am currently rebuilding a #13) that had a picture of "flat maps" with Heddon inscriptions. For those that don't know (and until I read this article I had never heard of one) it is like the hex-rod peeled open and laid flat to show in a 2-dimensional drawing the 6 sides of the hex, each with its own identifying number. I don't know how often a flat map is used, but I see the advantage in communicating to someone which of the hex sides of the rod something or other was located. Makes sense to me.

The question I have is: which of the numbers would be the number on top? Would topside be No. 1, or would No. 1 be on the bottom where the guides are located? Or would No. 1 be on one side or the other?

I ask this because the blank I have has no guides and reel locking portion of the old reel seat was "turnable", so I can't trust it to tell me which side of the rod was up. All I have to go on is the "Heddon" inscription...And that will be an excellent clue if I can look at the "flat map" pictured in the article (http://www.macsrods.com/JamesHeddon.htm) which is a reprint from Michael Sinclair's "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook, author Michael Sinclair". But you have to know which side of the rod is No. 1.

I suppose this is a rather small thing, but if the inscription was originally be centered on a particular side of the rod, I may as well get it historically correct?

thanks much for any assistance,
fwt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 04:13PM by Fred Tooley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flat Map - where is Number One?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 09:34AM

Fred -
Firstly I don't think it matters. The numbers are put on bamboo rods to keep the strips in alignment when split and planed. Once the rod is assembled the numbers are pretty meaningless. If you REALLY have to know it's POSSIBLE that the makers inked the numbers on the ends of the strips. To find them (if they still exist - as the ends may have been trimmed to produce the nodal off sets) they MAY be under the end cap / reel seat and likely slathered with glue. Probably the best method is to put the Heddon signature on top where the angler will see it. Looking at the flat maps you've got lots of choices - to make is as close as possible to historically correct you'd have to know the year of manufacture. Absent thread colors you're left with the reel seat which (per the article) may give you a starting point.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 09:47AM

here is a good place to ask
[classicflyrodforum.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: June 27, 2012 10:54AM

I'm fairly sure that #1 is the flat with the guides on it. I've got a few Heddons siting on the bench I'll look when I get home. if your rod/blank is old enough you should be able to see some "ghosting from the old wraps and especially the guide feet.

Posted by: Fred Tooley (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 11:50AM

would be a good clue except that this rod was apparently from a kit and was never finished. No guides, no wraps.

But, I think you are probably correct in that the #1 flat is likely the guide flat (bottom of rod). My determination (good guess actually) comes from looking at photos of a couple of other similar Heddons and the position of the inscription.

thanks much,
fwt

Date: June 27, 2012 11:54AM

yep, I am beginning to think that the "flat map" is not something many of us utilize. Too bad, cause when you think about it, it is an excellent way to communicate about the flat you are discussing (such as "small split along seam between flats #2 and #3 on butt section just below stripping guide").

On the other hand, it could just be a solution looking for a problem !

Wouldn't be the first time I was accused of overthinking something...

thanks much,
fwt

Date: June 27, 2012 12:10PM

I've never heard of a Heddon being a "kit" rod. maybe someone just really cleaned it up real nice. on the other hand I did find some NOS Heddon tip sections in a shop in Michigan once. unferruled and unvarnished.

Date: June 27, 2012 12:24PM

I agree, does not matter that much, and I am having some look looking at old Heddon photos to help determine how the inscrription was oriented. My current believe is that the "dd" of Heddon (on the spiral inscription , not the linear) was on the guide flat. This would more or less put the center of the inscription on the bottom.

Have not seen enough photos to know of the consistency of this, however.

thanks for your assistance,
fwt

Date: June 27, 2012 12:27PM

you want pictures of what I have? let me know.
also it depends on the year as to the way the writing went. the sprial writing is a bugger to recreate. apparently only one person did it until they went to the straight line style.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2012 09:37AM

Just a follow up. I checked my Heddons and flat 1 is the flat the guides are on. Which means that on some models the name appears on flat 4 or the top of the rod.

Date: July 12, 2012 07:22PM

Gary, I eventually came to the same conclusion, so surely 2 great minds got it right.

thanks so much for the assist.

Fred T.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster