I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix Repairs
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 09:32AM

Hello Rod Genies.
I have a couple St Croix factory rods to do guide and tip repair. Plus one major repair.
First Question: Factory Thread Color on the Tidemaster (TS80MF) series. It appears dark green until i peel it back and its almost mint green on the underside. Must have not had cp on it. Looking for a close match.
I know i can contact St. croix just trying to get a faster reponse, trying to place order today. Prowrap Evergreen NCP looks to be a close match.

One is a St Croix with REC single foot guides. Would this be a factory rod? The handle setup is factory with a logo on a nickel skeleton seat with cork insert. Entire seat is loose on the blank as well as forgrip. Just curious if this is a custom or factory. Has anyone seen one of these?

Thanks in advance for the help.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2012 01:17PM by Jim Scott.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix Repairs
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 12:40PM

they have a real good factory repair , the handle shoud be covered call them

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 12:55PM

St Croix does NOT use CP. The color underneath IS the color you seek.

Date: June 17, 2012 09:59AM

Thanks for reply William & Jim.
Trying to find out if the rod with the REC guides was a factory build or a custom kit before i contact manufacturer. Its in pretty bad shape but if it is covered that would be great. If noone has seen a factory Croix with REC guides i will assume its a custom kit and just pull it apart and repair it. There is no decal on the blank except for a remnant of a decal on the seat and the cork is identicle to the Avid Series.

If anyone else has some thoughts please chime in.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2012 10:13AM

I don't think it's a factory rod. You could consult their website for photos of that rod series and see what guides they employ.

Date: June 17, 2012 10:19AM

St Croix Legend Inshore rods came with RECoil guides and a Fuji top. They are a dark blue blank ... very pretty color. The series was discontinued in 2010. They were very easy to distinguish ... look for a HUGE St Croix label above the front grip. It will plainly say "Legend Inshore" and have logos, etc. There is a metal winding check above the front grip and the grips were a full set with a cork insert on a Fuji skeleton seat. If this doesn't match perfectly, describe your blank color, any labels and post a photo of the reel seat into the database and link it. I am very familiar with St Croix products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 10:25AM by Jim Gamble.

Date: June 17, 2012 10:26AM

Thanks Tom & Jim.
Jim, this blank is charcoal but i will contact St. Croix tomorrow to see if there may be some warranty left on it.
Thanks for the info guys.

Happy Fathers day.
JS

Date: June 17, 2012 10:31AM

IF it is indeed a St Croix AND you have the factory label on it (and a serial number if it was a factory rod prior to customization) ... they will warranty it. The "no questions asked" price is $75.00 which includes return shipping. You would have to pay shipping to get it there. Those guides do NOT belong on a St Croix Avid, which is the color you described. That makes it a custom OR a rebuild. Here's the rub, though. You can buy a new St Croix Avid blank (SCIII) for that kind of money ($75 + inbound shipping), maybe less depending on the exact model. I would suggest just building the client a new rod and recycling the RECoil guides since they are flexible Nickel Titanium that will last a long time.

Date: June 17, 2012 10:36AM

I just did a search of the St Croix website and am coming up with the same conclusion that it is a custom. There is no decal or serial number. It needs 2 new guides and the seat reglued. only hassle is pulling all the guides to redo the seat. I will not bother to contact them.
Jim do you happen to know the thread color on the Tidemaster Series?

Thanks
JS

Date: June 17, 2012 11:40AM

On the Tidemaster ...
I just cut a wrap off and match the color on the backside of the wrap ... underneath. It will show the true color of the thread. Don't look at the top where it was epoxied. You will be close enough, it won't match perfectly anyway ... no UV degradation of the thread or epoxy.

On the SCIII custom ...
If the seat needs to be redone AND two guides need to be rewrapped ... I would suggest stripping the entire rod, cleaning the blank to a "virgin state" and starting from scratch. You will want to extend your wraps just a touch over the areas where the old ones were, that will leave you looking sharp when you are done. If needed, dress the blank by VERY lightly buffing it with a GRAY Scotchbrite (paint stores have them) and applying a single coat of wipe-on spar urethane in a satin finish. Done properly, the customer WILL think it is a masterpiece rebuild. RECoil guides are easy enough to clean up and new ones can be purchased for the ones he ripped off the blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 11:41AM by Jim Gamble.

Date: June 17, 2012 10:37PM

Thanks Jim, Thats what i plan to do on the custom. Will place my order tomorrow for the REC guides.
Thanks to all who helped. I greatly appreciate it.
JS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster