I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Automotive Paint - Rod Blanks
Posted by: adam norris (---.dura-bond.com)
Date: June 15, 2012 10:45AM

Has anyone ever had a body repair service spray and clear a rod blank? If so, how did it work out?

I was wondering about some issues:

Does the clear stiffen the rod more?

Does the epoxy adhere well after clear? Adverse Reactions?

Durability of the paint?

Any and all replies appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Automotive Paint - Rod Blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2012 10:47AM

Any coating you add to the blank will soften it, not stiffen it. You're adding weight, not stiffness, and the blank has to carry that additional weight.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 15, 2012 04:48PM

Hi Adam,
I've had my local panel beater do quite a few for me with colour and clears or just clears. Haven't noticed any stiffening but I was only looking to refurbish some old rods and wasn't really looking at that aspect. Haven't noticed any difference when using them but they certainly look a lot better as most were pretty old rods. The epoxy adhers fine to the clears with no reactions.
The finish is not as hard as the original but all mine have held up better than I expected. Mine get done with two pack polyurethane with flex additives. From previous posts quite a few use auto paint and as yet I haven't heard any bad reports.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2012 05:41PM

I have had some painted by auto repair shops. the results were great. one thing is they can add flexible additives and hardeners that you can't get in a can. the cost is in the set up. if they have a blank that they can hang when they paint a car then it takes away the set up cost and takes them about 30 seconds to paint. get to know a local guy and give him some blanks. then when he is painting a color you want he can put it in the booth with whatever else he is painting and it makes it easy. i have gotten great results painting from a can too. if you have your own paint set up then you can do it yourself and add flexible additives as well as hardeners that are super tough. good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 15, 2012 08:48PM

Almost the same as auto clear And in colors
[www.klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.sub-174-255-123.myvzw.com)
Date: June 16, 2012 08:57AM

Duplicolor works great. Get it at auto parts chain store. Then a coat of Lumiseal over it and it will be tough as nails and flexable. Got one I did two years ago and like new still.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: adam norris (---.dura-bond.com)
Date: June 19, 2012 09:46AM

Thanks for the Replies guys, some "dudes" my age bought an auto body store right next to my office and they are willing to paint some blanks for me. Ill let you know how it turns out...

They already mentioned the flexing additives used to paint, and the one guy has an ultra-small paint sprayer he said would work great for it. Ill see what I come up with.

Again, thank you for the responses.

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: June 20, 2012 09:29AM

adam norris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the Replies guys, some "dudes" my age
> bought an auto body store right next to my office
> and they are willing to paint some blanks for me.
> Ill let you know how it turns out...
>
> They already mentioned the flexing additives used
> to paint, and the one guy has an ultra-small paint
> sprayer he said would work great for it. Ill see
> what I come up with.
>
> Again, thank you for the responses.

Ive sprayed auto paint for years... Sprayed a lot on auto parts, and sprayed a lot on stuff not even related to automotive. I think its one of the best coatings out there for fishing rods provided you have the setup to spray it. Im not a big fan of the flex additives as I have never had an issue not using it. I am however a fan of the adheasion promoters.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 06, 2012 03:19PM

The flex additives used in automotive body repair is not permanent. It only allows handling of flexable panels and bumper covers without the paint craking for a short time, then is inaffective. My painters dont use it any longer either. The paint compenents today are pliable enough that flex additive is not needed as long as you have proper surface prep.
Like Casey said, the adhesion promotors are a key element.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster