I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide height
Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns7.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 08, 2012 05:57AM

Furthermore to my questions relating to the positioning of guides using the 27x method i am still unsure about the correct placement.Please bear with
me on this subject as what i have learnt and read in the last two days has got my head swimming and i want to understand it fully before my next build.

Was looking at it today and thought as the fishing line is spiralling off the spool it forms a reducing cone .So the axis line from the spindle to the choker
should run through centre of the guides to be most efficient.So my point is when choosing guides should i choose a size so the axis line will
pass through the centre not just the top of the guide touching the axis line and should the choker be moved forward so the line disects the centre of it instead
of the guide being placed on the mark of the 27x measurement.

Be very greatfull if i could hear your thoughts on this as well Tom.

cheers.....Ray

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide height
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.49.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 06:52AM

Hi Ray,
Your brain is still in gear as that is another good point. I don't think it would make a lot of difference but in the centre might be slightly more effecient. I'm also looking forward to what Tom has got to say.
Keep using the KISS method as it's not rocket science but sometimes a small change can make a measureable difference. Your other option is to set the rod up both ways and do some test casting. The local footy field is an easy place to measure distance but you'll need to pick your day this time of year. Get at least a half dozen casts with each setup and take the average.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 07:01AM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (109.99.52.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 06:59AM

I quote:
"ILLUSTRATION NOTES:
1) Some rod builders do not realize that NGC in its current form works to move line down quickly to the blank. Note how the spool axis and the yellow line flow cone do not exactly match from the reel to the stripper. The reason is that NGC recommends the top edge of the guide frame be positioned on the projected spool axle line, NOT through the middle of the ring. This slightly changes the angle of line travel toward the blank without affecting performance and contributes to faster, smoother line control."
you can read the rest here:
[anglersresource.net]

kingofbeasts custom rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2012 08:01AM

The line will never pass through the center of the guides (if it did, you wouldn't need any guides). Gravity precludes this from happening.

The only cone the line forms is between the reel and the butt guide. If you position things properly, the cone is gone after the line contacts the butt guide and from there is travels mostly or only in a straight line, which is the whole point of the NGC.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 09:25AM

The high speed photos I saw shows exactly what Tom has articulated. Virtually all the "cone" disappears as soon as the line contacts the Butt Guide. Very little oscillation occurs after the Butt guide and the line is absolutely straight after the second guide from the reel. That is why the 27x method works so good. Also why the Castaway Microwave Guide is so effective. Wish I could find the link to the high speed video.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (109.99.52.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 10:09AM

William (Bill) Jones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Wish I
> could find the link to the high speed video.

i'll give you 2 of them showing what you've just said. one for KR concept and one for Castaway microwave guide.
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

kingofbeasts custom rods

Date: June 08, 2012 02:31PM

Thankyou once again taking the time to read and reply to my question,I thought i had it figured out as i stated in a previous post and i was okay
with it and then started thinking to hard and my mind started playing tricks with me.

Pity i didnt know any of this before i started building my first two rods they will be stripped and redone at least my binding should get better.
But i dont feel to bad as i have two customs i checked and if my measurements are right they are not all that crash hot either.Looks like i
may be the rebuild king for a while.

cheers,,,,Ray

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 02:52PM

Ray, ideas and concepts change over time. What was once thought to be best no longer is. Give it time enough and anything once thought to be true no longer will be. You might wish to look into some of Billy's posts about real life casting distances. You may decide to leave your old rods alone. I'd say....only when you have built enough new ones, in enough different ways, to prove beyond any shadow of a doubt, will you have any valid reason to deem it necessary to change what has been proven to work at one point in time.

Sooner or later you will come up on the following topic (unless you already have). That would be "building on the spine of the blank". To some it would be the single most important thing. Many others have felt it is of no importance. Those that think they are right will claim first hand experience of all sorts of things that simply aren't possible. But don't you go calling them a liar:)

Bottom line....fishing rods are very crude and full of many compromises. A hand line is a far superior tool. Maybe, just maybe, we are after all the sport we can get from that fish and aren't really looking to advance the art all that much.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 09, 2012 01:20AM

Very wise words there Russell sometimes i think we are trying to reinvent the wheel at times.Col did mention something about the spines
and how some people dont care and for others it is a religious experience.Different strokes for different folks i guess will cross that path when
i get to it.IThere is so much information to digest and some of it is more relevant than others.Some will stand the test of time and the best ideas
usually do but someone will always be trying to better it.

I use to spend more on a reel than a rod but now i realise the rod does more work and the reel is only there to store the line basically
except when a fish is taking my expensive hard body lure into the jungle then i want some drag to save me.But i did learn to fish with some
old line on a tin can before i got a rod and i think i had just as much fun then.And thats what its all about having fun and learning.

cheers..Ray

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Date: June 09, 2012 01:20AM

Very wise words there Russell sometimes i think we are trying to reinvent the wheel at times.Col did mention something about the spines
and how some people dont care and for others it is a religious experience.Different strokes for different folks i guess will cross that path when
i get to it.IThere is so much information to digest and some of it is more relevant than others.Some will stand the test of time and the best ideas
usually do but someone will always be trying to better it.

I use to spend more on a reel than a rod but now i realise the rod does more work and the reel is only there to store the line basically
except when a fish is taking my expensive hard body lure into the jungle then i want some drag to save me.But i did learn to fish with some
old line on a tin can before i got a rod and i think i had just as much fun then.And thats what its all about having fun and learning.

cheers..Ray

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster