I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mud Hole CNMG NanoMicro guides.....
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 18, 2012 07:10PM

Anyone here have examined the Mud HOle CNMG NanoMicro guides?

Are they a Mud Hole product? And is the TiChrome, basically as hard ad TiCh - or it is just Chrome. Wondering about hardness.

Love to hear comments.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mud Hole CNMG NanoMicro guides.....
Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: May 21, 2012 10:29AM

I have some of the 1mm that I got from Todd at the show, I posted a picture of them on the photo page compared to a standard micro and a #6 guide. They are unbelievably small in person, I dropped one onto the carpet at the show and we didn’t even bother to look for it. I haven’t wrapped any yet but it will require lots of magnification and probably tweezers to manipulate. . You will probably have to be super careful if you are finishing the wraps with standard epoxy to not fill the rings, light coats are all that will be possible and something like permagloss may work better. They are really super light and will probably be plenty reliable since they don’t have a ring to crack or pop out, and they are so small it will be difficult to bend them once installed.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: May 21, 2012 11:57AM

Thanks Mike. Do you think they are past the point of being too small for even light line? In part, I'm wondering about line slap against the blank. Even micros have a bit of height that lifts the line off the blank just enough not to touch the blank. This looks like its perhaps the line will be about 2 mm off the blank.

And do you know if Ti Chrome is basically chrome or is it a harder material like TiCH? I did a search online and can't seem to find info.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2012 05:42PM

Mo:
I also received some from Todd. He asked me to post my thoughts when I got around to using them. But like Mike I have not as of yet put them on a rod.

But here are some thoughts.
Right now I am using 80lb braid through 3mm Batson guides with NO troubles. Have also been using Batson 2mm guides with 10 to 12 LB Floro. and 30 lb braid for several years now
I really don't think you'll have any problems with their size effecting your line or casting ability, especially if you intend to use lighter lines.

One thing that concerns me is:
on one of the guides, the inside of the ring is not smooth. Has what looks like stress ridges or fractures in it. May have come from the metal tearing when the hole was punched then shaped to from the inside flange. But this is only on one of the guides I have and could have been a reject that accidentally slipped through during production.

As cheap as they are I would consider buying a few extras and if they all good you have enough for the next rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2012 05:52PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: May 22, 2012 01:38AM

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the feedback.

Indeed, one of the challenges on some coated steel rings I have used is that they are not smooth as very nice SICs. But then, Fuji size three SICS are also not as smooth as their size 4 and up. Since I build for basically the thinnest lines manufactured and sold in the USA, I pay a lot of attention to smoothness. If these are as smooth as the SICs (and they probably can't be due to the nature of their technology) I would switch over completely . Still searching. The size 3 Fuji SICs are so close but just not that smooth.

Thanks again Steve.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster