I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Still struggling to find a metal ferrule I like
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:24PM

So im still searching for a metal ferrule that I like. I purchased one from Mudhole which I just wasnt all that happy with. The male end was made so that both ends were hollow. Im looking for one which has the male end made in more of a stamped fashion. Not how mine appears to be made out of a piece of tubing with one end slightly curled inward.

Other wise the mudhole one would have worked. I have seen the high dollar nickel silver versions however I feel those are overkill. Anyone out there still make them similar to the old school ones which had the o-ring seal??

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Still struggling to find a metal ferrule I like
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:36PM

Casey, I don't think you re going to find such ferrules. I believe the company that manufactured the aluminum ferrules with the o-ring seal was called Featherweight, but with the advent of the fiberglass and/or graphite ferrule system, the need for metal ferrules declined except for bamboo rods. You could list a want to buy notice in the BUY/SELL area near the top of the page. Your only hope is that someone somewhere has a supply of Featherweight ferrules let over. You might also google Featherweight. Good luck.

If that fails, you will have to use what is now available.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:38PM

Michael is correct and those particular ferrules were discontinued almost exactly 33 years ago.

You're going to find the selection of metal ferrules very limited these days and commercial manufacturers haven't relied upon them for decades.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:42PM

Try Anglers Roost web site (sponsor on left) they have some inexpensive brass (chrome plated) ferrules.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 02:59PM

Also try to Google up Bamboo Forum's and ask Some one may have some

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 26, 2012 03:16PM

I will check some of the bamboo fourms as you all have mentioned.

the thing that is killing me is that the ones from Mudhole or anywhere else for that fact would be fine, IF the male end was made in more of a pressed manor. It just looks terribly cheap when the end which will be seen when the rod is apart is hollow. Ive even thought about finding a way to plug it with something .

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2012 03:33PM

I have some from Anglers Roost And they are not a hollow tube Check him out
I also got some from MudHole Had to look and you are correct A hollow Tube

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 26, 2012 05:23PM

Casey, Anglers Roost has been suggested to you more than once, have you checked them out? They ARE NOT open ended!!!!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 12:31AM

Casey, Can you please list the sizes that you need. I'll check my stock to see if I have them.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: April 27, 2012 12:29PM

Hey all thanks for the help. I did in fact check out Anglers Roost. They appear to have the higher end nickel silver ferruels which are a little overkill. I did find a site "Grumpy Tackle" that appears to have exactly what im looking for.

I know it sounds silly but I was looking for something along the same lines as what Mudhole had, then only difference is that I want the male end to not be a hollow tube.

Date: April 27, 2012 08:07PM

You did not look far enough on the Anglers Roost page! Below the Nickel Silver ferrules is the list of Chrome plated bras ones at about $4.00 each and they are not open.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2012 11:15AM

Casey -
Page 84 of the Merrick On-line catalog (upper left corner) lists aluminum "Ferrulite" ferrules - light aluminum with rubber "o" rings. I've used them before and they are very, very similar to the old Featherweight ferrules. They also sell a wide variety of chrome over brass ferrules - all closed end

Posted by: Jeff Frei (99.196.160.---)
Date: April 29, 2012 08:48PM

Ken, I found out today, that I'm looking for the same thing. I checked the Merrick book and that o-ring ferrule looks fine, but Merrick is a wholesaler and I'm not in business. Do you sell Merrick items?

Date: April 30, 2012 08:59AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You did not look far enough on the Anglers Roost
> page! Below the Nickel Silver ferrules is the list
> of Chrome plated bras ones at about $4.00 each and
> they are not open.

Hummm for some reason I thought they were the same as the ones sold by Mudhole... I will check them out

thanks

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2012 08:55AM

Casey
I'm not in the resale business - but many dealers do resell Merrick products. There's a link to dealers on their web page.

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2012 06:12AM

Jeff,
Just contact Merrick.
They will sell to the hobby builder and run the sale through one of their Dealers.
I bought some camo eva from them a month ago and thats how they did it for me.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: todd larson (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 18, 2013 10:21AM

are you still looking for ferrules i have stumbled into a large cache of them
i know this was an old post but thought i would try anyway i have all sizes of feather weight ferrules

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster