I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cutting EVA or Cork Blocks cleanly - what do you use?
Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.uscg.mil)
Date: April 24, 2012 03:50PM

Billy, table saw with my MARK jig, and my compound mitre saw. as long as I allow for kerf, no problems so far!

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 03:50PM by Scott Backholm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 24, 2012 06:26PM

Scott,
Did I miss something?
What is a MARK jig?
Thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.sub-174-254-163.myvzw.com)
Date: April 24, 2012 07:53PM

I'm not likeing the cuts that I'm getting from my bandsaw. The 14 tooth 1/8 inch blade doesn't want to cut straigt enough to make a celtic knot. I tried one knot using the eyeball method and a second knot using the supplied miter fence, neither were satisfactory. The sloppy fit between the fence and the slot in the table, the blade not tracking as straight as I think it should (could be improper saw setup or blade tension) and my ancient eyes and shakey hands were probably the culprits.

My plan now is to build a jig and do the cuts on a very accurate cabinetmakers tablesaw. I plan on cutting strips that are the same thickness as the saw blade (1/8th inch) and fill the kerf with the strips. Hopefully this way the knots will be semetrical.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if a bandsaw blade with 14 TPI 1/2 inch wide is made? If so will it be stiffer and track better than a 1/8 inch wide blade?

Thanks
Don

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: April 24, 2012 08:07PM

John Repaci Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott,
> Did I miss something?
> What is a MARK jig?
> Thanks

I think he's referring to a jig similar to this one [www.rodbuilding.org] , It's a sled made to fit into the runners on the table saw. It works well for making ellipticals and for general cutting when you want to make repeatable cuts.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2012 08:28PM

Band saw blade is 1/2" and 24 teeth / inch. I tried a 1/4" blade but it tended to "wander" so I switched to the 1/2" and, for me, it works better. The band saw is a Delta; 1725rpm motor with a compound cut table & built-in 0 - 60 degree table miter. The cuts are smooth - as long as you make continuous cuts against a "stop" - this is more repetition / practice- keeping the material moving at a steady pace. Keep the main block (not the piece you intend to use) against the miter/stop. This keeps the piece you intend to use from 'wandering', "chattering" or binding on the saw blade.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2012 08:31PM

Forme the wider blade wandereda lot more than the thin one. If teh blade is wandering it's not set up properly, that's the bottom line, and it is a bit of a pain to get teh saw set up properly. I spent several hours with my new bandsaw getting it to run properly, then I screwed up all the grips I made at teh seminar 2 weeks ago because I wasn't used to it, lol.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2012 08:56PM

Billy -
You nailed it. It is what you are used to / what you have the most experience with. And setting up a band saw can be a time consuming and trying experience.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 02:02AM

Mark,
Nice jig. I'll make one soon.
Thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 01:36PM

Don,
Making straight cuts with a 1/8th inch band saw blade is next to impossible.

But, as much as anything, a straight cut with a band saw is very very dependent on the quality of the band saw.
If you have a very high quality industrial band saw with a good 1/4 inch blade, you can make arrow straight cuts.
But, if you have a home quality band saw, even 1/2 inch blades will likely not cut perfectly straight.

The biggest reason for the difference is the tension of the blade, and the design and quality of the blade guides, as well as the quality of the rip guides.

Roger

Date: April 25, 2012 05:36PM

Come on man. I have been using a 1/8" blade for 6 years now and it cuts EVA straighter than the wider blades when I have the tension set properly. I have bags and bags full of 1mm strips of EVA that I made with a 1/8" blade, which I could not do with a 1/4" blade - cutting them off a block. I used a 9" Grizzly table bandsaw which is hardly industrial. The blade cuts better in EVA once the blade is used and loses the raker offset or whatever you call it. In order to wear the teeth off the blade cut a bunch of blanks and once the sparks stop coming off the blade you know it's ready to make perfectly smooth and perfectly straight cuts in EVA - when set up properly.

Date: April 25, 2012 07:28PM

Billy,
Out of curiosity, what happened, when you attempted to cut the strips with the 1/4 inch blade?

I am just repeating my own experience that I have found when using many different band saws and blades over the years, cutting a large variety of products.

i.e. a high quality band saw sets up quickly and with a wider blade cuts straighter than a narrow blade.

But, I have found that when using a large variety of the smaller home style band saws, (not up to even the quality of your Grizzly saw) that virtually all of the cuts tend to run from one side to or the other, no matter the care and time taken to properly set up the saw.

Thanks for your update, and I am sure that you have wonderful results with your system.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: KEITH A. LUDWICK (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2012 07:55PM

I USE AN OLD FASHIONED MITRE BOX. TO CUT STRAIGHT GRIPS...WORKS FOR MY SIMPLE STUFF...

Date: April 25, 2012 08:16PM

The cut drifts and the blade twists. I do not have to adjust for any drift with the thinner blade with EVA. When I cut with the thicker blades, especailly if I try to cut a thin strip in a long piece, the cut piece is thinner at teh end of the cut than from where it started, and often the blade pops through the piece.

Date: April 25, 2012 10:48PM

Billy,
Thanks for the update.
Roger

Posted by: jeff luke (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2012 07:25AM

ever tried a japanese santoku knife cuts pretty clean

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster