I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top Sizing
Posted by: Harry Judson (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2012 01:03PM

I am new to custom fishing rod building and I am confused by tip top sizing terms. I see that a particular rod blank has a tip size listed as 8.
When I look up tip top guide size one I see is listed as Size: 8(8) ~ 3.2mm tube. Would this be the correct tip top to order for a rod blank having size 8 tip? Does a rod blank with a size 8 tip mean it has a tip diameter of 3.2 mm?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Harry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top Sizing
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2012 01:25PM

The tip size is in 64ths of an inch. So a blank with a tip size of 8 is 8/64 which equals 0.125 inches. Multiply that by 25.4 to convert to millimeters and you get 3.175 mm.

When you look at tips to buy there is the "ring size" and the "tube size". You would need a tube size of 8 and whatever ring size you decide on, typically whatever your smallest guide is.

Just in case you didn't know guide sizes are in millimeters and are the outside diameter of the ceramic material the ring is made from. Therefore different brands/materials will have different inside diameters for the same stated size.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Harry Judson (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2012 01:39PM

Thanks Russ

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2012 04:22PM

When you order your blank,buy the tips with it . Have the dealer fit the tip to the Blank, no mistakes. Or buy the size listed plus one size smaller and one size larger

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: April 23, 2012 10:46AM

I for one applaud Alex for trying to wean builders off of the antiquated 64th system and listing the Kigan tips by the actual mm size of the tubing used. The tip manufacturers are buying tubing in .2mm increments so it would be nice if the blank manufacturers would go along and everybody could get on the same page.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2012 11:40AM

Also get a sizing guide I like the PacBay and save some time If 1/2 MM larger you can wrap with A thread and glue
Usually I scrap the tip to get a better fit and bond

Like said have the supplier size it for you

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 11:41AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster