I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
saltwater casting rod?
Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 01:24AM

I'm looking at building a rod for a curado 300E with 40lb braid on it. I will be using it to cast 1-2oz bucktails and gotcha plugs to kingfish and ling with ling potentially to the 40lb class.
I have been looking at these three blanks and wanted yall's oppinion or to see if there is another blank yall might reccomend in the price range.

Batson

Model Color Length Pcs Line Wt. Lure Wt. Butt(in) Tip Top Size Action Power Blank Wt. Application MSRP
IMU66MH TC 6'6" 1 20-50lbs 3/4-3oz 0.550 9.0 Fast MH 4.15oz All purpose musky $133.68
IMU72MH TC 7'2" 1 20-50lbs 3/4-3oz 0.540 9.0 Fast MH 4.75oz Small to Medium Heavy bucktails $146.60

MHX

MU84MH-MHX New Blank Model 7'0" 4.75 15 - 40 1 - 3 1/2 Fast med-Hvy .716 7.5 $90.00

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saltwater casting rod?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: April 18, 2012 07:37AM

Personally I wouldn't use a musky blank. I think they are too stif in the tip.

I tend to like St. Croix for lighter jig blanks. They aren't cheap though. Over the years I've had good luck with live bait sticks for what you are doing (used to love sabre's). They work fine as long as the jigs aren't too heavy. Calstar and seeker make nice jig and live bait blanks. Rainshadow has a nice one for the price.

I wouldn't go too heavy on the power. Normally you want to let a kingfish run and not try to horse them in with a ton of drag. I'd probably look for something centered around 20# class. I'd go fast action with a steep taper (fat butt). I'd consider a composite (lami triflex is nice) if I wanted to keep cost down and durability up.

I'd like a reel with more line capacity but I don't know how big your kings are. I have had smoker kings spool 6500 baitrunners.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 08:15AM

I would suggest looking at a flipping blank. They are about the right power/action to get the job done.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: April 18, 2012 08:46AM

MHX L905. I just used one for a light A-rig rod and I was impressed at the power and light weight, if you don’t want a rod that long just cut it down, I cut the one I built down to 7 foot.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 09:50AM

Casting long distance with lures can be aided by the use of the correct blank and the technique used to throw the lure.

Justin if that reel of yours was loaded with 80 # braid how would you like to be able to "dump" the spool with the lure weight you want to throw.

If you desire to throw long use a blank that will load with the chosen lure weight and investigate the West Coast casting technique.

A stiff graphite high modulus flip stick may prove to be the incorrect choice.

Take a look at graphite/glass composite blanks.

Contact Swampland today for informaiton

Batson, MHX and Seeker blanks in stock with build set ups available for specialty rods from 7'3" to 8' 3" for the technique you seek.

Mike H. have you incorporated any of the casting technique you observed in the lot at High Point when throwing weight?

Date: April 18, 2012 10:15AM

You bet, good technique and a T1 rod produce some startled looks from the partners I draw………………

Date: April 18, 2012 12:42PM

Rodbuilders - building rods is one thing - knowing how to use them is another!

What Mike is referring to is a technique unknown to bass anglers and many saltwater guys -

Far too complex to start discussing on Internet Forums.

For information that will get results use the Contact Us Link at Swampland and request information on West Coast Long Throw Texhnique.

Learn to let the rod do the work!

Thanks Darin/Jim!

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 12:52PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 02:05PM

I know a flipping stick won't work for sure, way wrong action. I like west coast jig blanks but not for my curado 300 way to big and heavy. I need something small and light and capable of handling a 40lb fish, casting is important but when I'm trying lift a ling off the bottom thats 40lb I need a rod with some backbone to it also. Thats why I have been thinking about the musky blanks because they are made to cast big lures and handle big fish I don't know how well they will lift fish though. If anyone has some specific models I'm open to ideas.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 02:40PM

Take Bill's advice and give them a call. They have access to all of the Seeker Inshore series blanks.

Date: April 18, 2012 04:10PM

Justin the Swampland T1 is at the top of the list for consideration for the exact rod you desire.

The currently available commercial rods built for your needs weigh in excess of 17.5 ounces. I attempted to make long throws with one of the commercial rods rigged with that exact reel. I totally agree that your points are valid.

The rods we are describing in our posts use the micro guide techniqie to deliver a powerful rod with drastically reduced weight.

The total weight of the build is under eight ounces - it handles the fish you target with ease.

Where are you located? Contact us an maybe we can put you in touch with someone nearby who has something you can evaluate.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 05:00PM

Hey 9 foot e-glass jig blank is gonna be too heavy. An 8 foot composite might not be. I have a 7 foot st. croix (3sw70hf) IMHO it is plenty of rod for 40# lings and a feather weight (for its power). I have one of their musky blanks and while it is stiffer/stronger I'm not sure which one would dead lift more. Darn sure rather cast the 70hf.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 10:05PM

Talked to Swampland and I am very very excited about the T1 blank sounds like exactly what I want. Plus I like the fact that being just about 150 mile down the coast from me he knows exactly what kind of fishing I will be doing with it and he said it would work great and even mentioned other things that I was thinking of using it for so we were definetly on the same train of thought.

I am how ever going to cut it down to 7' but he didn't think that would be any issue what so ever. Yall feel the same on that?

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 19, 2012 09:42AM

Justin, if they tell you that you can cut it down its true.
I personally like longer rods but i am 6ft3 and around 240lbs so i can handle it. I would want 7ft 6 for a cobe rod around Orange beach/perdido through to Destin.I get under the motors too often with them and the extra few inches makes it just a bit easier to get the line safely around them for me.
I know some folks like smaller rods and that is what makes custom so good: You get exactly what you want.

Date: April 19, 2012 10:36AM

A new 17.0 Size Fuji ESCM seat with a 16.5 Bore lands perfectly with no reaming to build a rod on the blank at 7" 3".-

This is a favorite rod of many presently throwing weight.

This length should meet your requirements.

Date: April 19, 2012 01:56PM

You can get a size 17 seat on one at 8 foot with enough work…………..

Mine was reamed so thin that when I glued it on glue seeped out of the groove in the threads that prevents the hood from rotating. For some reason I left the hood on the reel seat when I glued it on, so if I hadn’t noticed the seepage I would have ended up with the hood permanently rod bonded on.

On all of these large diameter blanks like theT1 or the RF s-glass I have started using a split reel seat, for my small hands it makes a huge improvement in comfort.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 19, 2012 03:03PM

get them both
See with one fits better For you and your hand

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 19, 2012 04:16PM

Mike the different desires for rear grip lenghs complicates the seat choice.

Many professional anglers desire a 8.5 inch rear grip on the large diameter S Glass blanks.

We have data for all builds on the RF S glass blanks,i.e., 726. 765 and 806 and the T! for rod lengths from 6' 6" to 8'.

Seats ulilized range from 20 to 16.

If you desire specific information request a Build Sheet for the Blank of choice by email. [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.sub-174-253-113.myvzw.com)
Date: April 19, 2012 07:41PM

Well its a done deal I got the t1 coming my way, Swampland is awesome pleasure doing business with them.

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.sub-174-253-100.myvzw.com)
Date: April 20, 2012 01:16PM

Well I ordered virtus lights for my rod I got 12,10,10,8,8,8,8,8 in black stainless I'm having second thoughts now that I my have went with to heavy of guides going with the virtus. I'm happy with the ring sizes because I will be using a short top shot of 50 or 40lb mono uni to uni to the 40lb braid main line. What do y'all think?

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2012 03:07PM

Justin I'd drop the 12. Use one 10 then run 8 s on out to the tip.

Lance

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster