I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ceramic or not or a combination on 7 wt
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: April 18, 2012 10:50AM

I have built quite a few rods with Fuji TLSG titanium guides. Very satisfied with these guides This time I am building a 7 weight Sage ONE and I am thinking using snake guides. I have weighted five fuji tlsg7 with a tip, weights around 1,07 gram.Black chrome snakes guides set with top 0.95gram if I go with a 6mm ceramic guides and around 1,02 grams if I go with a fly top or a 7mm sic fuji top. As snake layout I am using three no 1 snakes and then switching to no 2. The amount thread and probably the amount of epoxy will be the same in any of these layouts as I have measured out. Except for the 6 mm alconite guides, all the tops weight the same, however the weight of size 1 snake guides are 0,08 gram wheras the fuji tlsg is 0,15 gram. I am going to use the rod in both saltwater and freshwater. What would you guys recommend? I have all the guides in house ad will not buy any guides for this rod. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ceramic or not or a combination on 7 wt
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 12:00PM

It is your choice.
If it were mine, I would go with the snake guides.
But it is certainly up to you.
Roger

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: April 18, 2012 01:17PM

Thanks, If I go for snake guides, should go for a ceramic tip 6 or 7 mm? & mm is lighter than a wire top 7 mm is the same weight.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 04:57PM

Terge,
Your choice.
Roger

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 05:04PM

Probably a matter of personal preference, but I use single foot wire running guides on anything 8 wt or less and titanium ceramic guides on anything 9wt or more.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 06:12PM

Terje,
Just my opinion but, I wouldn't use ceramic guides on the tip section of any fly rod used mostly for casting.
If fighting the fish is the primary concern I may be persuaded to consider ceramic but the rod and caster will suffer from the increase in inertia.
Rod tip velocity will be less and casting effort greater.
Titanium single or snakes would be my fist choice especially in the salt.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2012 06:28PM

Pacific Bay Minimas will offer the least amount of weight. While "louder" than ceramics, they appear to be resistant to grooving and provide perhaps the best of all worlds.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 08:24PM

Is there a cut off point for considering the minimas? I can see the advantages and am curious. I doubt they would be a good idea on a small creek 3 wt trout rod but I gather you like them for a smallmouth rod?? If so, sounds like a possibility for a bonefish outfit. I assume I'd want to keep the guides fairly big....like 8, maybe even 10?

A 6mm alconite sounds problematic if you ever got into the backing and would rule out shooting heads (I think).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 18, 2012 08:48PM

I'd use them on what most consider a "3-weight" rod. Absolutely.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 09:15PM

use the "" Snake brand snake guides """"""" light, they will fit the curve of the rod better, for wire guides my vote is for "" SNAKE BRAND snake guides "" for the tip #1 the fit is better an you don't have to work on the guide like the rest of them , cost a little more but what you get in return far exceds the other snake guides
BILL

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2012 07:30PM

Tom do recoil guides offer the same charectoristic as the minamu? Seems they would be even liter and even a better chioce?

Date: April 20, 2012 09:58PM

I can't say as I've held them but never used the Recoils on a rod. Not sure they'd be lighter, but I haven't weighed them.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: April 23, 2012 09:35PM

Raymond Adam's site has the specs of the REC recoils.. might want to a look there..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster