I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork seal
Posted by: chip chappell (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 12:26PM

just finished split grip. I used burnt and natural burl blocks. Question should i use a cork seal on the grip?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork seal
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 12:56PM

As always, your choice to do or not. It will create a bit of shine and highlight the grain of the burl, but it's not permanent and will have to be re-applied periodically, about once a year or so, depending on use. If you use baits that are messy, this can help in clean up of grips. It does leave the grip a little tackier than without finish. Some like this, some don't.

Let us know how it turns out.

terry

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 08:02PM

I have made quite a few rods recently with brown burl cork.

I put Birchwood Casey Gunstock Oil on all these grips. It builds up, and gives the cork a sheen. if you used the green or blue burl, it really brings out the color and contrasts of the different cork pieces in the ring.

It takes 6 or 7 coats to get the sheen I like.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 08:29PM

Also - experiment and less coats gives maybe the shine you want and the feel

Also if it shines to bright hit it with a VERY FINE scotch pad lightly and it will dull out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 17, 2012 09:19PM

Tru-Oil!!!! Really brings out the grain in Burl. I love it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 11:18PM

I have used cork seal a lot and haven't found it to be tacky once it dries. It brings out the color nicely without giving an objectionable buildup. Lately I have been experimenting with ca glue on Burl cork and it looks awesome, but I haven't fished with it yet and I have to checkout the durability.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 06:48AM

I have settled on 3 coats of Tru Oil and then I buff out with Birchwood Casey stock sheen and conditioner. It gives the grip more of a satin finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster