I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wraps - single -vs- multi thread
Posted by: Arron Martinez (---.149.202.82.biz.sta.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 03:20PM

I just started getting into doing wraps and was wondering about other methods used inlieu of the "one thread at a time."

Also, I have a pac bay power wrapper, its great but I have no idea on how to utilize the wheel markings on it to help with my wraps. Any pointers or insight on how to speed up my wrapping and use tricks to the power wrapper would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wraps - single -vs- multi thread
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:40PM

Depends mostly on the pattern you use. You can easily wrap 2,3,or 4 threads at a time. Some use a thread box with groves cut in the edge so that you can pull on as many threads at one time as you are comfortable with. I'll wrap a bunch at a time by cutting equal lengths from the spool, taping down one end, feathering out the threads to avoid crossing and running up the blank. Do the same going down the blank. Two sided tape is a real advantage here. To my eye, more than 8 at a time tends to show up as a pretty broad stretch, but when used in a fade pattern it works well with even more. In a plus one or plus two pattern, using bands is a real advantage. As to the markings on your lathe, they might be used as a reference for the 0, 90. 180 degree axis, which you need to layout your pattern.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:53PM

If you are laying down multiple threads on a cross wrap in a butt section, you can also try using a comb to keep multiple threads separate. You can usually handle 2 or 3 at a time without any tools other than your fingers without too much trouble. If you are trying to inlay multiple threads at a time while guide wrapping, etc your thread carriage should be able to accommodate 3 or 4 spools which can be wrapped side by side at the same time.

terry

Posted by: Arron Martinez (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 12:48PM

Thanks for the input. I was curious because i read somewhere on here that a guy could do a wrap in about 3 hours. Just didn't see how that was possible pulling one line at a time.

Another thing, does pulling mutiple lines at once change the look of the design any?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster