I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Super light 6wt build help
Posted by: mike skibo (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2012 02:34PM

Hey everyone,

I just ordered my first rod blank. Its a 9 foot 6wt blank that weighs 1.31 oz.... I am looking to buy the lightest possible parts to build a rod under 3oz.

If anyone can post links to the lightest hardware, Thread, and everything I need it would be appreciated.

I am probably going to go with black pearl REC guides. Are these the lightest?

Looking to buy everything from MUDHole..

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Super light 6wt build help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2012 04:01PM

Some sort of graphite/nylon seat mounted on two 1/2-inch long foam arbors at either end. Carbon-skinned, foam-core grip, or all natural cork. REC or PB Minima guides. 00 or A thread with no more than 3 coats of Permagloss or Lumaseal. Keep the wraps short - start the wraps just a millimeter off the guide foot end.

I just walked back and weighed the components as listed above (Minimas guides as I have some of those) and the total component weight came to 1.46 ounces. This was with a nylon seat, carbon skinned foam grip and 9 guide set up with a size 16 dbl, 8 dlb and seven size 5 running guides. The thread and finish would add a little bit more, but not much. I'd guess the total for everything wrapped and finished would still be under 1.7 ounces. This would keep you at or just under your desired weight figure.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 06:48PM

Hey,
Just wondering what blank you found that weighs 1.31oz?

Thanks

Even the Orvis Helios weighs in at 1.5 oz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 06:51PM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 09, 2012 08:49PM

I too am curious about your blank. Curious minds want to know!

Greg

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: April 09, 2012 10:07PM

chances are, it should be a blank from mudhole as well ?

my 2wt and 5 wt came in 3.07 oz (TFO Finesse 2wt 7'3) and 3.4 oz (TFO BVK 5wt 8'6) respectively..the REC SF guides I used were in the sizes of RSF/RSFX 1,2 3 and strippers of Fuji CLSG10/REC RSG12 and the wraps were short and grips were all cork with a burl cork right after the recessed reel seat (2nd cork ring from bottom), I believe most of the weight might be at the reel seat. (I used Struble U3 / PacBay CL7RC)

2wt : RSF1 x 5, RSF2 x 2, RSF 3 x 1, Fuji CLSG10 - Struble U3
5wt : RSFX1 x 5, RSFX2 x 3, RSNX4 x 1, RSG12 - PacBay CL7RC

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 04:04PM

Curious to reasoning behind having to be at or under 3oz. My preference is to not put a graphite/nylon seat on a fly rod- just don't care for the look. Have used Batsons RA7 skeletons with a graphite inserts but don't see in my build notes what the weight came in at. Same with Struble. Sure if you called Batson's they could help you find the right set up.

Date: April 11, 2012 10:06PM

Using TFO as an example, their 9' 6wt factory built is at 3oz.. they used carbon fibre reel seat

-

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 12, 2012 09:48AM

Christopher, Did you actually weigh a factory TFO 9' 6wt? If your 8'-6" is 3.4 how is 3oz possible. The channel lock weighs more than an A7 with graphite insert but? Recoil guides too.

Date: April 12, 2012 10:52PM

no sir.. i dont have access to a TFO 6wt 9'.. i'm just quoting the weight from their website..

i may have forgotten to mention its a BVK that i was using as an example..

Blank weight : 1.8 oz
Factory spec rod : 3 oz

-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster