I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dental ligature ties? - how stretchy?
Posted by: Greg Reali (---.losrios.edu)
Date: April 04, 2012 01:54PM

I know there are people out there using them for securing micros guides, but I was wondering just how stretchy this little guys are. I was about to order them, but I didn't want to end up with 1000 pieces I can't really use....

So - How much do they stretch? Will they work well on a blank that's .450 thick or is that just too much?

THANKS!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dental ligature ties? - how stretchy?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2012 02:34PM

Greg,
If you are going to u se these items for holding guides to a rod; pick up a box of 1000 in several different sizes.

If you use an on line source you can get a box of a 1000 for under $5.

Then, you can use the size needed to hold the guide in place. I have found that they will stretch about 20% comfortably.

Roger

Date: April 04, 2012 02:39PM

I didn't know they have different sizes - I've just been seeing a "standard" size. I'll check it out! Thanks!

Greg

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 04, 2012 03:31PM

Mine are .12" OD. You can get about halfway up a bass or walleye rod (1/4"?) before things get real tight. I put two or three bands cut from small surgical rubber for the first guides, then the rest are the dental bands. They work best for holding small guides on the top half of a blank. That is the problem I was trying to remedy when I went with them.

Date: April 04, 2012 03:54PM

I was looking for something for small trout blanks - 2wt etc. I'm building some long light float rods, and these bands should work well.

I've also just found some other bands as well, they're "intraoral elastic bands" and they come in different diameters ranging from 1/8" to 3/8". Those should cover the rest of the blank diameters easily. I'm going to order some, so I'll have to see how well they hold up. I'll try to post on here wether they're suitable/stong enough to load a rod.

Just thought I'd share that.....

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 04, 2012 05:46PM

The rubber bands for braces come in different sizes, and are inexpensive. They stretch fairly well. You can also use a small band with a twist in it so it is doubled for smaller blanks.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2012 08:10PM

I get mine from the local Orthodontis he has them in a mail box on the front porch called on the phone and was told to take what I need. i picked up two bags size 4 and 6 if they are a little loose I double them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster