I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light Reel Seats and Handles
Posted by: Simon C. Joseph (---.range109-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 04:30PM

Gentlemen,

I'm contemplating getting a new u/l spinning rod built. It'll be based on an Orvis Helios Ion 6' #2 fly stick (7/8oz as a fully built fly rod). Guides are Fuji Ti micros, 6+ tip top. My questions are, what reel seat will be best to keep the weight to the minimum, excluding Tennessee, and what handle material would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

If it's above a 4wt, it's built for Tarpon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light Reel Seats and Handles
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 06:00PM

If weight is your concern, slip rings on a cork grip, or a size 16 or 17 graphite reel seat skeleton with a cork insert would be very light options. The lightest would probably still be a tennessee handle and taping the reel to the grip.

Terry

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:05PM

Any graphite spinning reel seat, even the new Aero comfort reel seat with no foregrip, split grip on rear would be very light. I prefer not to use skeleton or exposed blank seats on spinning rods due to comfort on my hand. I love the way a Tennessee handle feels. If you have some different ones you could weigh them to see which one is lighter, but the difference would be minimal between graphite spinning seats. Also, you won't feel the weight in that area when holding the rod. Keep the tip weight and guide weight to a minimum and you will have a light rod.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 10:12PM

Hollow Carbon tube handle with small plate seat wrapped on

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 12:11AM

I like Mike B's idea also. I recently purchased 2 plate seats, one black and one chrome. The only thing I noticed was that the plate seats that I bought (Fuji) were a little heavy. They are metal though.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:54AM

Carbon sleeved foam grip with the reel feet wrapped on with thread or even electrical tape and (if you like) covered in shrink wrap.
Carbon grips seem a lot lighter to me than cork.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:54AM

Carbon sleeved foam grip with the reel feet wrapped on with thread or even electrical tape and (if you like) covered in shrink wrap.
Carbon grips seem a lot lighter to me than cork.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 10:21AM

I like the SBSS reelseat, it can be made with many materials.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:13AM

He said he did not want a Tennessee handle, so I would say the next lightest would be a small size 16 split-seat. Add cork insert for comfort.

Grips - Cork is soft and comfortable, and very light because it is porous (EVA and foam too). A split-grip and no fore-grip will make it even lighter if you find it comfortable enough - the less grip material you have on the rod, the lighter it will be.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 04:33PM

I wouldn't clasify Mr. Timberlake's reelseat a Tennessee handle as it conventionally holds a reel just like any reelseat, it just does it more comfortably in my opinion. It can be made into a split grip if someone likes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 04:35PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: David Spence (---.scansafe.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 10:45AM

Ditto the SBSS-Lightest, most comfortable-nothing like it.

Posted by: Simon C. Joseph (---.range86-130.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 30, 2012 02:50PM

Love the look of the SBSS. If my builder can do it, or is willing to, that's the one that I'll go for.

Thanks for all the advice.

Simon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster