I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marlin fly rod?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 01:40PM

I happened to catch a few minutes of a fly fishing show. During the show the angler landed a 130 lb Marlin using his fly rod.

Since I am completely unfamiliar with this particular type rod, what would be the typical blank and guides used for such an endeavor.

It appeared during the angler close up that the rod was wrapped with a heavy duty double footed ceramic ring style guide.

It also appeared that the 2 feet of handle area had been double walled with another piece of rod blank to stiffen the handle section of the rod.

It appeared that the rod was about 10 feet in length. It looked like the angler was using a relatively heavy fly that was of a rather large size.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marlin fly rod?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 22, 2012 02:19PM

That does not sound like anything I have seen. Usually shorter rods are used as there is no need for long casts. A ten foot rod would give the fish too much of an adavantage.

They do make 12 weight and up fly rods that work. A common choice, at least in my waters in the past, was to use an eight foot live bait blank. I have seen anything from snakes to single foot spinning guides to double foot conventionals.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 05:08PM

I built a 14 weight on a Sage blank a few years ago, but it was 8 ft long. Most people look for lifting power rather than length or long casts. Sage adds a fighting fore grip of about 6" in length ahead of the regular fore grip for fish fighting, which I did as well. Seemed to do the trick. Guides were double foot then single foot ceramics.

Terry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2012 07:01PM

I generally used Back Bouncing blanks for marlin or tuna fly rods. Eight feet length.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 08:10PM

Hmmm, never considered a back bounce. Never even held one. I must change that someday soon. I do keep thinking a hot shot blank could make a nice fly rod. Has anyone done so?

I seem to run up on problems between strength of blank to fight fish compared to that needed to launch the fly. I could easily see myself using a more bulky, wind resistant fly, for bass/bluegill than I might for bonita/tuna. I'd rather catch that bass/bluegill on a 3 wt. but I seem to have enough trouble turning over larger popping bugs on a 6 wt yet things like a gummy/glass minnows are no problem. Could be my leaders though. Reckon I need to start making my own.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 23, 2012 12:31AM

All,
Remember, I am estimating lengths and sizes from a few seconds of video on a tv show. The rod may have been 8 foot or so in length.
The fore grip that Terry mentions would seem about right for what I saw on this rod.

I would estimate the diameter of the butt of the rod to be something more than 1/2 inch. It was likely closer to 5/8th or even 3/4.

The guides were conventional double foot guides all wrapped on the bottom of the rod. The reel had a spool size of about 5 or 6 inches.

Thanks for your insight.

Roger

Date: March 23, 2012 12:46AM

I just happened to run across this link:

[www.templeforkflyrods.com]

I am pretty sure that the rod that I saw this morning was this one or one similar to it.

So maybe it was the temple fork blue water hd 16 weight rod?
[www.yagersflies.com]

Thanks for your thoughts.

REW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 12:51AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:47AM

Roger it is all on this forum - big fish - big subject - lots of information

There are many forum sponsors who deal in fly rods and blanks and Temple Fork is not visible on the listing that shows on my screen.

Use the search and you will uncover more than you expect

[rodbuilding.org]

and this (Before Micro)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you like I will even make the Temple Fork comments on the subject matter available to you via personal telephone call! Even the left handed man got involved before the rules were changed. Lots of illegal rods in use at present.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 09:03AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 10:11AM

Roger, I've had a few requests over the years for short fast loading fly rods in the 5-7 wt class for bass and pike fishing. I am currently working on a 6/7 wt and building it on a 7 ft spinning blank rated to trhrow 3/8 oz of wt.A broad rule of thumb is 1/16 oz of lure w. figures out to 1 fly line wt. however I judge each blank on an individual basis, I tried 3 different blanks till I was satisfied with a Cabelas IM7 blank for this job.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 10:16AM

Sage makes a very nice 14wt and also 16 wt Xi3. Both are 8'. TFO has their bluewater versions as well. A bunch of friends fish Casa Vieja this time every year and most are throwing one of these 2 sticks. In fact, one of the group released an estimated 450 lb. blue marlin a week ago while targetting sails. Guides typically start with a size 20 stripper, then a 16 and then a 12 with 5's out to the tip. Ones I build add a ceramic ringed top to help with friction and stress on the line. Fighting billfish on fly is all about the reel, line leader set up and boat skills. Fish are treased in so not a long cast but needs to be accurate. Need a LOT of backing, and a reel with max retrieve per crank as possible.

Date: March 23, 2012 01:37PM

Reels for Marlin can get quite upscale

Take a look at the reel used on the rod referenced in the above thread.

Note the drag lever - can be set for the tippet

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Getting a big blue to the point of tag with a fly rod takes a total team effort and a lot of LUCK!

You can tell the men from the boys by the price of their toys!

Date: March 23, 2012 01:44PM

Another Issue for novice fly rod builders -

I was a novice when this rod was ordered -

It is quite painfull when you finish a project and realize the reel will not fit in the seat.

There is a recent post on this forum about reel foot standards - BIG DEAL FOR THOSE WORKING THE LARGE STUFF!

Struble saved me when the remade the feet for the reel used - take a look - service above and beyond!

[rodbuilding.org]

If you are building a fly rod be sure and test fit the reel to be used in the seat prior to the glue up.

M Bare Assed

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 02:49PM

That is a cool reel. Lot of my guys are using Mako's now and swear by them. Lot less bulky, huge drag capabiltity and bullet proof. The late Jack Charlton designed them with input from billfish studs like Jake Jordan etc... Either way, ton of jack for a reel!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster