I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slip clutch
Posted by: Patrick Conroy (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 02:44AM

What's a good slip clutch to buy for a dryer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slip clutch
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 09:15AM

This is what I use

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 09:51AM

the slip clutch allows you to stop the rotation, touch up spots and then let it go to continue turning without stopping the motor. Probably more useful if you apply finish under power, and need to stop and inspect/touch up after the initial application is made. No real use for the drying process other than if you want to stop and inspect without stopping the motor.

Terry

Date: March 21, 2012 10:33AM

Thanks Barry.

Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 10:42AM

Anyone try to make one and how did you do it?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 11:31AM

Ed,
I have picked up the clutch assemblies from surplus stores before.
You can make one with a spring loaded base to the clutch. But, the flex coat is tough to beat for the price and the quality.

[www.sdp-si.com]

[www.sdp-si.com]

Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 11:35AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2012 12:24PM

Roger - Thanks for the references. I'm tinker around with trying to make stuff but your right -sometime buy one already made is better in the long run.

Date: March 22, 2012 09:02AM

Ed,
Do check out surpus stores. You can often find exactly what you want - already built up for a few cents or a $1.

Roger

Date: March 22, 2012 09:07AM

Patrick,
I used to use a slip clutch when applying finish.
However, I now use my power wrapper to apply finish. I just use the foot pedal to put my rod at any desired speed, or stop it when needed and then when completed - either leave the rod turning at the desired speed, if it is a single build or move it to a dryer if it is part of a day's multiple rod build.

By leaving it on the power wrapper, I don't have to move the rod.

The wrapper that I use when doing this combination has a non spring loaded foot pedal so that I can press the foot pedal to any desired turning speed, remove my foot and the rod continues to turn at this speed. Simple easy and it results in excellent results.

Roger

Date: March 22, 2012 10:30PM

Thanks for the advise Roger. My next step is to save up for a wrapper.

Date: March 23, 2012 12:43AM

Patrick,
Make the wrapper yourself. It is not that difficult and you can save $$$$$$$$$$

Roger

Date: March 23, 2012 12:52AM

Not really good at that kind of stuff but I'm going to research that and give it a try. Thanks again.

Date: March 23, 2012 12:56AM

I might as well use this website to ask: any suggestions on plans for a wrapper?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2012 09:47AM

take a look here for ideas
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 23, 2012 11:44AM

Patrick,
Simply put you only need a few things.
1. Wrapper base
2. 1 or more rod rests
3. Turning motor and head stock system and chuck to support and turn the rod when pressure is applied to a foot pedal.

Then, the world is wide open how you design and construct these three items.

As Bill pointed out, go to the photo section and do a search on "power wrapper". You will find lots of ideas by many talented folks who have made wrappers.

The wrappers can be quite simple, or very elegant. It is your choice.

A very simple one would consist of an 8 to 10 foot long 1X6 or 1X8 pine board. Use a router or saw to make a slot down the center of the board on which to secure the rod rests.

Then, make rod rests of your choice using wheels of your choice. Wheels like patio door rollers, skate board wheels, or skate board bearings all work well.

Finally the head stock and power head. A simple way to go is to pick up the head stock of a commercial lathe and a commercial lathe chuck like one off the Taig lathe.

Then, use a motor of your choice and variable speed system to power the chuck.

If you have further questions, always free to drop me an e-mail @ hflier.comcast.net

Roger

p.s.
If you don't enjoy, or don't have the interest in doing this work - save your $$ and purchase a built up wrapper.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2012 01:02PM

You are welcome to use any ideas off of mine also. Just look at the photos under my name. My newest one is here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: March 24, 2012 01:53AM

WOW!! That looks really great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster