I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Casting distance?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2012 08:15PM

James,

Rather than building on the spine, I would opt for the straightest axis on the shortest rod that will meet the power and action requirements for the task, combined with the absolute smallest lightest guides that will stand up to the task with an extra guide or two added to the guide train over my normal build routine, and shedding as much excess weight as possible from the build. The goal is have the most efficient rod as possible with the line path constrained as much as possible. The object is to remove as much error from the line path as possible, hence the shorter rod and smallest rings possible. The extra guide or two would go near the tip to close the spacing up just a bit as the first couple guides usually end up spaced further apart than the next few.

Of course, the vast majority of casters, myself included, would never be able to realize the improvements because the variance in their casting stroke alone would be much broader than what these adjustments will account for (with exception of the rod length). For the accomplished caster, the adjustments may be just enough to gain a bit more accuracy. Accuracy is a secondary consideration to a build because the requirements of fish fighting and the consideration of building an efficient rod will be more than adequate.

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 12, 2012 09:53PM

I don't know much about "gear" fishing because I'm a fly fisherman, but there are definite negatives to a distance casting rod when it comes to trout fishing in creeks. For flats and lake fishing you want to launch as far as you can because the fish are easily spooked, plus you get more time with your lure in the water while retrieving it before your next cast. In a creek you are trying to accurately cast dry flies close up and you need a rod that loads and releases without having to punch out the cast. When it comes to trying a really long cast that rod is underpowered at distance and you end up with a tailing loop. That's why you need a closet full of rods!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 06:17AM

To oe's comments I would add a blank that loads well but damps fast. I have long felt that a rod tip that bounces back and forth at the end of a cast leads to backlashes and the need to thumb the cast more than ideal.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.188.253.---)
Date: March 13, 2012 11:05AM

Greg accurately describes the desired qualities of a fly rod for fishing small trout streams. In such situations fish are seldom fought off the reel, yet much discussion and much money is devoted to "low start-up drag" reels. Go figure.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster