I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

custom rod warranty
Posted by: Chris Terrill (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 08, 2012 06:38PM

I have been building custom fishing rods for a little over a year now and am starting to get alot of people that are wanting a rod. So I am in the process of starting up a little side business
to make some extra money. I was wondering if anyone had any info on what type of warranties to offer my customers. I know that most of the blank manufacturers offer one for defects but
what should I do for constuction and components.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: custom rod warranty
Posted by: Jim Gamble (24.26.8.---)
Date: March 08, 2012 07:07PM

I offered a warranty similar to the production rods for years. I learned that it doesn't work ... at least for me. My warranty has been pretty simple since 1/2011 - none. While some folks might find this shocking, it isn't. I don't sell warranties, I sell custom rods. They are welcome to inspect to their heart's content on premise, but that's the extent of my coverage. Surprisingly, very few rods are broken nowadays. Amazing what happens when the burden is shifted from builder to user.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.55.---)
Date: March 08, 2012 07:11PM

This is what I have on all my invoices below. I have never had any problems or complaints. I typically try to offer 3 blanks for builds, a cheap, middle of the rod blank, and high end blank. I also explain which blanks come with warranties from the manufacturers. I haven't had any returns yet, but if a micro guide pops out or something, I have no problem fixing one or two guides for no charge. All my wraps have the forhan locking wrap, so I haven't had any guides pop out. I have never had a reel seat come loose, but if it did, I would repair it without a charge, because I feel something like that should not come loose if done properly *Disclaimer: below is what I use, it is not intended to offer any legal advice.

WARRANTY
Reed Rods does not provide a warranty on any of the blanks sold. Labor is warranted for two years from the date of purchase. Many blanks come with a manufacturer’s blank warranty. These range from limited lifetime to no warranties. It is the customer’s responsibility to register their blanks once received. Any blank that is broken and covered under the manufacturer’s warranty will be stripped of all possible salvageable components and added to the new blank for a $25 fee. Customer is responsible for costs of all components needed to complete the build, including but not limited to new reel seats and grips.

LIABILITY
Reed Rods is a sole proprietorship. All rods are stress tested within limits before being sold. For all items sold, any and all liability will be limited to the price paid for the item. Payment for such item will act as acceptance of these terms. Should these terms be declined, Reed Rods refuses to complete the sale. This shall serve as a binding agreement.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 08, 2012 07:16PM

Check this out!

[northforkcomposites.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2012 08:02PM

For the custom builder, it's important to educate the customer on the difference between a defect and a broken rod. They are not necessarily the same thing.

Most builders can easily warranty against defects in workmanship or materials, but not against routine breakage.

Posted by: Chris Terrill (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 08, 2012 09:19PM

Thanks for the input. All of your comments are very helpful.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 09, 2012 10:49AM

My warrenty is very similar to Jim's. I offer what I call a 5/5 warrenty, it covers 5 min or 5 ft. whichever comes first. I warrenty all my labor and broken rodsare covered on an individual basis depending on the dynamics of the break and the co. that manufactured it.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 09, 2012 12:35PM

I do offer a 1 year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. I find that even if I flex and inspect the blank, there have been 2 times that a blank broke on the first or second use. This would be a defect. Any breaks after the first couple times are almost always the fault of the angler, either due to an impact to the blank or over flexing way past 90 degrees.

After a year, the warranty will match what ever the blank manufacture offers, and I add a $40 processing fee, plus shipping.

Terry

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.lightspeed.tmblct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 02:01AM

It's pretty hard to sell things with no warranty.

Under the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) anytime you sell something there is an implied warranty of merchantability. Merchantability means that it meets customary standards. And, in particular when you are using your expertise to design the product you are also selling the product with an implied warranty of fitness for the particular purpose. You MAY be able to disclaim these warranties, and you usually have to be specific ie. no warranty of merchantability (not just no warranty), etc. In addition, some states don't allow implied warranties to be disclaimed, or not to be disclaimed for certain classes of goods. You are more likely to be able to disclaim warranties to business users than to consumers. In any event, you have to be very explicit and clear up front, and explicit statements that you don't stand by your products are hardly good sales tools.

All this is in the UCC which has been adopted in some form or other as the law in every state. It arises from common law over many centuries, and when you get down to it is just basic fair play.

The reason for so many written warranties, is NOT to give consumers something extra, it is to LIMIT what they might be owed, either with respect to time, (one year) or the kind of defect (manufacturing defects only, as judged by the manufacturer), etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 02:06AM by Steve Schoene.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster